05. the aurelia twins

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

In the parlour, Dawn waited expectantly by the door, her sword to the side and big, golden brown, amber eyes filled with concern as she tapped her foot against the carpeted floor, glowing orange from the fireplace's flames. Relief was evident on her face when Aurora and King Ace walked in.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, pushing herself off the wall and uncrossing her arms. "You two were gone for quite a while."

Aurora gave her a smile, hoping it was reassuring enough. "I will be fine. My father was just making sure I was okay and being a worried parent, as usual. There is nothing to worry about." He stared at her blankly and she gave him a smile.

Dawn raised her brows. "You swear?"

"Okay, well... I might be healing a bit slow"-her eyes widened-"but other than that there is not anything to worry about."

"Aurora! How do you know that isn't something to worry about?" she exclaimed. "This could be bad!" And there it was-the same panicked reaction she had been awaiting-and this was only one member of her family.

"Perfect. Now you sound like my father," she remarked, rolling her eyes. His brows furrowed. "Dawn, everything is okay. I am still healing. Okay? There are not any concerns about it." King Ace almost scoffed. Dawn frowned. "Dawn."

"I hate this. I hate all of it. Why is someone even..." She groaned, her frown deepening. "Never mind. I will only end up in a bad mood, and it is not just me but my family is staying over, so I cannot ruin this for them."

"Where are they?" King Ace asked, while Aurora walked over to the lit fireplace and discreetly threw the parchment into it. "Last you said, they were at the gates. They should have been here by now. Why aren't they?" He looked around the room, and Aurora stifled a giggle. Had he been expecting them to jump out from a dark corner?

"They are. Most should be arriving by now," she replied. "You lost the bet, by the way," she called out to Aurora.

"There was no bet. I stopped it," he replied.

"I am sure your brother can wait," she retorted as she stared at the fireplace, warm flames flickering upwards and daring to lick near her. She watched as the paper burnt to ashes, but even then, her eyes wouldn't tear away from the fire. "Wherever he is. It seems even if we had made it, we would be waiting a while."

"Stars know. I saw his carriage draw up from my chambers, but if I had known he would take this long to actually get to the palace, I would never have bet on either of us reaching him. See, this is exactly why I had said he was not worth my money. My guts knew." Aurora rolled her eyes playfully with a smile lingering on her lips. "I suppose he is the younger twin for a reason."