13. home is where the heart is

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

     After the girls had finished their lunch, Dawn had gotten up and just barely left the chambers and shoved the platter into Dusk's arms, who had shoved it back to hers, demanding she clean up her own mess. Aurora heard them argue for a brief moment before Dawn went quiet and Dusk laughed to himself.

     She didn't know what had happened, but Dawn returned with a frown on her face and her arms crossed tightly across her chest, no silver platter in sight. When she sat back down, she had scoffed, scowling at nothing in particular.

     "Is everything okay?" Aurora asked. She mumbled something in response that she wasn't able to make out. "What?"

     "The jackass mentioned his best friend. Asshole."

     "Oh."

     "Yes, 'oh.' Now enough about that. Both of those boys can go up their own asses. Do you need anything?"

     "No." She shook her head slowly. "Are you okay?"

     "Yes," she breathed out, removing her arms from what looked like a cell-like hold on her torso. "Of course I am."

     "Dawn."

     "Aurora, I'm okay. Honestly. Can we please not talk about me?"

     "You love to talk about yourself, so we will. What did he say? Should I go speak to him?" Dawn shook her head, but Aurora got up regardless and stood at the open doors, frowning at Dusk who was sat on the floor, staring at the back of a book. He looked up at her. "What did you say to your sister?"

     "Oh," he laughed. "Nothing much. I just told her how Cass isn't lazy enough to bestow his chores on me unlike her. Of course that shut her up."

     "Dusk."

     "Aurora."

     "Dusk."

     "Aurora."

     She groaned, turning on her heel and closing the door.

     "I give up," she announced, climbing back under the covers and pulling Dawn into a hug. "Don't pay attention to anything he says. He's stupid at times."

     "Yes, because he's a boy."

     "Hey!" Dusk half-yelled, frowning deeply as he burst into her chambers. "I didn't say that because I'm an asshole because I'm a boy—I said it because as your brother, I am an asshole at times."

     "Go away. I don't need to see your stupid, ugly face."

     "Please. I am the most beautiful out of us both," he jibed. She shot him a look. "Hey. You aren't actually upset, are you?" he asked softly, walking over.

     "Of course I am. You just showed me your hideous face. Get out of my sight. You're destroying my eyes."

     He laughed quietly, sitting down beside her. "I'm sorry," he said earnestly, his voice just above a whisper. "It was just supposed to be a bit of fun. I didn't mean to actually hurt you."

     "I don't care," she murmured, staring at her lap.

     "Look at me." She frowned. "Are you even listening to me? Look at me, stupid." Glaring, she did. "I'm sorry. I mean it. Accept my apology? I will even help keep Aurora in her chambers."

     "What?" the aforementioned asked, blinking. "Excuse me?"

     "Okay," Dawn said, smiling. Dusk smiled back, kissing her temple.