16. half a happy birthday

𝖊𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

She had decided she hated them all.

Okay, maybe she didn't necessarily hate them, but she was certainly pissed off and hurt and had never felt worse before.

Elara had yet to decide how she truly felt on Aurora-after all, they had barely spent any time together-but she knew for certain she detested her inner circle of friends. Nearly as much as she was upset with their parents. Possibly even more.

She slammed the door to their parents' chambers-grand and luxurious like the rest of the palace-shut, the frame shaking from the force as she rushed in and headed straight for the open balcony, which was letting in bright, white light from the clear and bright-yet not sunny-day outside.

The wind was gentle, but she wanted it to slap at her, to wake her up.

All her life, she had known there was more to her than some commoner girl who lived in a small cottage in the grove, hidden away and prevented from making friends.

Unless Xander was counted, of course.

There had to have been more. Her life couldn't have consisted of the same routine, day in, day out.

Being hidden from royalty hadn't exactly been the 'more' she was looking for, but now that she knew the truth, she didn't know what she had ever thought it was. All she knew was that there had to be something greater she was destined for, but if her calling was a secret royalty... well, she didn't know how to feel about that.

A knock sounded at the door.

No doubt Aurora and her persistent sisterly self.

Elara hesitated for a while, contemplating opening the door or just leaving her new twin to wait out there.

She wanted her to shut up, though, so she crossed the room and pulled the door open, once again startling her sister.

"What?" she snapped. "And if you try to take me to that stupid party of yours again-"

"No," she quickly intervened. "I figured it would be best for us all if it were just you and me for this. I got you a slice of the cakes," she said, holding up the plate. Elara snatched it off her, divulging into it with the small fork, decorated with gold. "Are you okay with me coming in?"

"Only if you keep that mouth of yours shut when possible," she responded through a mouthful of cake, "and your little friends don't try to make an appearance."

"They won't," she assured her, stepping inside.

Elara kicked the door closed behind her, walking over to the bed that was her apparent father's and dropping down at the edge of it; the mattress bounced slightly beneath her, sinking when Aurora took a seat to her left.