19. The Other Side

Songfic (Cringy, Ik)

Luz's older sibling reader

Please play song when you see these three dots : 

•••

2 months ago, the Golden Guard saved you, a rebelling human, from falling to your death in the Boiling Seam's cliff. 

His reason was, "No one deserves to die for standing up for what they believe in." and then he said, "Though I don't support your actions. Get out of here."

You were with your sister Luz, pacing. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" 

"Hey, Hunter seems like a good guy! I'm glad that you came up with the idea of trying to convince him to join our side. He protected me from Kikimora, and he saved you from falling." Luz smiled. "I think we actually have a chance of convincing him, you know?"

"Did he answer your letter?"

Luz sighs. "Yes, he did. He should be here any minute."

Five minutes later, he showed up from teleporting. The red aura quickly disappeared.

"What did you want to discuss with me? Did you change your mind about joining a coven, humans?" He sounded smug behind his mask. "If you did, we could forget all about your treasonous actions and let you guys!"

You frown. "No, Hunter. That's not it." 

He looked at Luz. 

"Sorry!" She said. "They kept calling you Golden Guard and drove me crazy now that I knew your name."

"I see. So, tell me. What is it you want?" He crossed his arms looking at the two of you.

Luz stood up off her log. 

•••

"Right here, right now, I'll put the offer out." She said. "I don't want to chase you down. I know you see it..."

Hunter tensed and looked at her. 

"You run with me, and I can cut you free out of the drudgery and walls you keep in." 

"Human--"

Luz cut him off. "So, trade that typical for something colorful."

"That's--"

"And if it's crazy, live a little crazy!" You pipe up and shrug. "You can play it sensible, a king of conventional..."

Luz stepped toward him. "Or you can risk it all and see.."

"No. Out of the question."

Luz balled her fists. "Don't you wanna get away from the same old part you gotta play? Cause I got what you need, so come with me and take the ride! It'll take you to the other side!" 

She paused before continuing. "'Cause you can do like you do or you can do like me. Stay in the cage, or you'll finally take the key! Oh damn, suddenly you're free to fly!" 

Luz opened up her arms. "It'll take you to the other side~"

Hunter sighs, tired. You looked down.

"Okay, my friend, you want to cut me in." 

The two of you lit up. 

"Well I hate to tell you, but it just won't happen." You opened your mouth and he held up his hand. "So thanks, but no. I think I'm good to go, cause I quite enjoy the life you say I'm trapped in." He turned his back to the two of you. 

"Now I admire you, and that whole show you do...You're onto something, really it's something!" Hunter turned his head back slightly and you could hear the smirk in his voice.

"But I live among the swells, and we don't pick up peanut shells." 

You jumped up angry. Luz grabbed your arm and he continued. "I'll have to leave that up to you."

Suddenly he's yelling. "DON'T YOU KNOW THAT I'M OKAY WITH THIS UPTOWN PART I GET TO PLAY? CAUSE I GOT WHAT I NEED AND I DON'T WANT TO TAKE THE RIDE! I DON'T NEED TO SEE THE OTHER SIDE!" 

He faced you and Luz and took off his mask. His face is full of anger and pain. "So go and do like you do, I'm good to do like me." He shrugged, his face suddenly deadpan. "Ain't in a cage, so I don't need to take the key. Oh, damn! Can't you see I'm doing fine? I don't need to see the other side--"

You grabbed his hand. "Now is this really how you like to spend your days? Whiskey and misery, and parties and plays?" 

He reddened before pulling away. "If I were mixed up with you, I'd be the talk of the town...disgraced and disowned, another one of the clowns!"

You grabbed his shoulders. "But you would finally live a little, finally laugh a little. Just let me give you the freedom to dream!" You went over to Luz and hugged her. "And it'll wake you up and cure your aching...take your walls and start 'em breaking..."

You looked at him grinning. "Now that's a deal that seems worth taking..." You lowered your head looking up at him. "But I guess I'll leave that up to you..."

He stared at you, and actually looked like was considering. Until he held up his staff and teleported away.