Twelve

The night of my Sugar Plum Fairy Dance was the night I went home for winter break. I’d completed the dance without a flaw, which was good. The only thing that bothers me about dancing is the fact that I work hours upon hours to perfect four-minute dance, and when that dance is over, people clap and that’s it. Nobody ever really brings it up again, despite how hard you worked to get that four-minute dance down pat. It’s like cooking for Thanksgiving; you cook all day and it’s all eaten within minutes and nobody makes anything out of it.

I refused to wear that huge, immobile tutu and wore a custom-designed, light purple, sparkly dress instead.

Zach was waiting for me backstage with a bouquet of flowers, which I was grateful for, especially considering what happened after my last dance.

“You nailed it,” he said, kissing the top of my head. “It was beautiful, Layne. Honestly. I don’t know why you were so nervous.”

“Because you were watching me the whole time,” I muttered, thinking it was quiet enough that he couldn’t hear me, but he did.

“I shouldn’t be the one making you nervous. You make me nervous.”

I giggled and nudged his shoulder with my elbow before getting my things and walking out into the auditorium to meet my mom.

“That was beautiful, sweetie. Great job,” she said, giving me a tight squeeze. “Ready to go home?”

“Yes please,” I said, hitching up my dress as we walked outside and into the car.

Luckily, my dad and brother weren’t in the car to hear that Zach and I were officially boyfriend and girlfriend now, thank God. My mom, however, could apparently tell by “the way we looked at each other”. She’s good at reading people; always has been. This time, we didn’t meet up with anybody at an Italian restaurant halfway through the ride back home. We just took the straight and narrow.

When we got home, Zach, my mom, and I snuck inside to hear my dad snoring on the couch with a basketball game on and a fireplace lit. My brother was on the couch opposite my dad, looking intently at the TV. He didn’t bother to greet me when I walked through the door, so I took Zach’s hand and pulled him towards the couch, where we sat down next to Michael.

I hadn’t asked Zach why he changed his mind about staying over my house, but I didn’t feel like bringing it up after what happened. I’d been very cautious about what I said to him now, careful not to pull one of his triggers and make him upset. It was Christmas time and I wanted us all to get along as well as possible.

You again,” my brother spat, glaring at Zach when we sat down.

“Nice to see you too,” Zach muttered sarcastically, looking away from Mike’s intense stare.

“Be nice, jerk,” I whisper-yelled to my brother, considering my dad was still sleeping on the couch beside us.

Mike rolled his eyes.

“I am not happy,” he said with his jaw clenched.

“About what?” I asked incredulously, wondering why he was giving us such an attitude when we’d just arrived back home.

“That you two are, like, a thing now. I mean look at him, Layne. He’s a heartbreak waiting to happen.”

“You’re being an idiot, Mike. Just stop talking.”

“You know I’m right, sis.”

“You’re the farthest thing from right, bro,” I hissed through my teeth, getting extremely frustrated.