"Was?"

Ava nods, her gaze drifting back to Reagan, and I can see sympathy in her eyes. "Yeah. I'm not sure if you know, but all-male wolves have to spend several seasons in Ireland, where their clan is originally from. The pack has a sort of training facility for the younger men or something. It's to help them learn how to control their wolves."

"Is that why some of them have accents?" I've always wondered how Liam's accent was so strong, considering he was born here.

"Yep. For some of the stronger males, like Liam," Ava lowers her voice further, and I know it's to help me. "They spend years over there in their early stages, traveling back and forth until they have control over their shift."

I nod, then furrow my brow. "If it's a thing, how come Shay doesn't have much of an accent?" I can understand Griffin. But Shay?

"Shay's unique. He's been training with Griffin since he was like ten, I think." Tugging a loose curl out of her face, Ava huffs. "Anyway, we were talking about Lachlan. Okay, so apparently the last time he was in Ireland, he, um, wasn't, let's just say, careful. And now he's going to be a father in 2 months."

I whisper, struggling to keep my voice calm. Memories of my time with Fido flood back, making me shudder.

"Yeah, another she-wolf. He obviously knotted her."

"Fuck!" I exhale, my heart clenching a little for Liam's sister.

"Yep, and that's not the worst part," Ava continues. "Seems the girl, the she-wolf, already has a toddler with a striking resemblance to Lachlan."

"Oh no, he didn't." This time I don't lower my voice, and I see Siobhan glance my way. I offer her an awkward wave and turn back to Ava, who has moved on to a more vintage-style gown. This one is all lace and designed for curves.

"Aha. Apparently, the asshole was going to keep his kid a secret and go ahead with the mating to Reagan. But after the second slip-up, there was no way the girl he was screwing was going to keep her mouth shut. She's already labeled a slut for having a child before being claimed, and this was just the icing on the cake."

"I don't know who I feel more sorry for," I tell Ava, subtly glancing in Reagan's direction. The girl is now sitting in a cream wingback chair and playing on her phone. "Reagan, who obviously has had her heartbroken but has dodged a massive bullet. Or the other girl."

"I'd feel worse for the other girl. Lachlan's been forced to claim her," Ava shudders, still focused on the lace dress.

"What I don't get is, the asshole obviously liked the girl he was screwing. Otherwise, he wouldn't have gone back for seconds. Why agree to claim Reagan?" I ponder aloud, eyeing Reagan who's now engrossed in her phone, seemingly oblivious to our conversation.

Ava lets go of the dress and draws me nearer, whispering into my ear, "Because she's a Brady. They're practically royalty, you know? Only the O'Connell line out ranks them."

Recalling the evening at the Manor with Isla and Shay, I nod knowingly. "Purebred wolves?" Ava doesn't reply, but I sense we're on the same page, even though Liam doesn't seem to wield the same influence.

"Anyway, to cheer her up, I asked if she still wanted to come along for a change of scenery," Ava admits, chewing on her bottom lip and squeezing my hand. "And she ended up giving her booking to Roisin."

I narrow my eyes at Ava's innocent expression, feeling a bit betrayed. "You couldn't have given me a heads up?"

"It was a spur-of-the-moment decision, and a bit of an olive branch considering who's in our claiming party," Ava defends herself.