Chapter 47

Stravos

The back of my hand burned when I touched Serenity's forehead, she had a very high fever. Below her eyes had dark circles due to lack of sleep and constant worrying.

The day her babies were pronounced missing, she had taken the turn for the worse. I called Marcy right after we left the beach to find out if Glenn was the one who took them but he hadn't. We were holding onto hope that the kids are some where out there alive. My back could no longer remain up right, staying up for hours, trying to get her to eat something.

Serenity isn't just thin, she's scary thin. Her clothes were layered and loose, partially hiding the bones that were jutting out.
But it was so clear just looking at her cheekbones and the skinniness of her hands, that she was starving and what made the sight of that even more painful, it's happening under my roof and the effort of feeding her proves to be fruitless.

She looked at my face and it broke me to recall how it once was. Her eyes used to glow with inner beauty and her soft personality that so easily brought her to laugh and show affection. Now her once soft skin was stretched over her skull and her hair was so dull and thin.

My eyes were heavy with tears, tears that had been trapped away.

"Seren --"

"Shhhh."

She pressed a bony finger to my lips to silence me.

"That painting I found in the storage area of your closet, how did you capture the details so perfectly?"

Sometimes we'd look at the artistic piece for hours and she'd always be captured with wonder by what it entails. I never thought that she'd find that treasure.

"It was my photogenic memory and artistic abilities that made me bring that moment to life." I said, cupping her face,"The day I saved you ..I want to always remember it."

She smiles weakly and her eyes glisten with tears.

The room was silent except for the ticking of the clock. She looked round her, noticing the full plate of nourishing dinner that I had cooked. Her eyes were drawn to it like her worst enemy and the food stared back, mocking the look of fear in her eyes.

Her life was a constant struggle and each day took more and more out of her. The pain was like a heavy weight that she carried around on her shoulders and the damage was starting to show in her physical appearance. The weight's growing heavier, everyday and was restricting her growth and development.

Oh Serenity, why must you face such hardships.

She deserves so much more. The police have given up the search after a month and I'm not surprised that Glenn didn't even call to find out how she was doing. The next time he sets foot in my apartment, he'll be getting a punch in the face.

Better make a dentist appointment because he's gonna be losing more than just his dignity. It must be karma hitting him with infertility, he doesn't deserve to father children.

She kneeled down and her gentle face smiled and said, "We would spend so much time here on this carpet, to have our little chat."

Work would leave my head in the clouds most times, given the whole ordeal so on that spot, we'd make small talk and share fun times even though she wars with her soul over Sirion and Astral.

"You're right," there was a pause before my lips part again, "please eat -- I'll make you anything."

She spoke quietly.

"I will not eat until my babies are found."

This was too much to handle, I'll completely drain away to nothing, if she continues like this. Her organs will start to fail and that will put her in a coma, worse, death. She walked gently like a small fish towards the window, staring out, waiting for .... something.