Chapter 2

Serenity

Angie pushed a sealed envelope over the dining room table towards me.

"A letter from Manny!"

"I have to go now, takeout is in the refrigerator." She left, closing the door at her back.

Takeout again?

The application form was incomplete. I got this from a diner in town. I'm hoping they'll accept mine. A gust of wind sent the paper right out the window and my heart leaped, gingerly approaching the window, my eyes dipped below. A man with very dark, chocolate-colored hair bent to pick something up off the ground.

He looks familiar. My gut wrenched staring at him. Anything that appears, tastes, or smells like chocolate, sickens me.

"Hey!"

"Can't he take a hike?"

Moving closer to the window ledge, I leaned farther out to see him holding my application form.

"Is this yours?"

"No!"

"It has your name written on here. Serenity Gallon?" His masculine voice had a timbre that worked along my nerve endings.

Someone shoved me hard from behind, and I fell through the window, powerful arms caught me, and the impact made my breath stagger.

"Do you want to die!?"

I opened my eyes to see my savior. It's him. I thought he's already left. He was breathing hard, and with both hands on my waist, he allowed me to stand.

"Are you hurt?"

I took the paper from his hand, I'm fine. I did not ask you to save me."

"Are you serious?" he wipes his forehead, "I just saved your life."

"You have saved me but it does not change the fact that I dislike you."

"That's ridiculous," he fumes, "You don't even know me. Anyway, here's your application."

He looks at me with concern, "You should be more careful."

"Whatever."

He walked away without speaking another word.

Who shoved me, should I report it? Someone's trying to send me to my grave, something gold and shiny on the ground caught my attention. It's a Rolex watch.

I saw a pawn shop on my way here, hopefully, I'll find a buyer. I took a cab and got there in less than an hour. My curiosity and itching pockets led me inside the small building. A man was standing behind a disorganized counter, he looked like a junkie.

"Welcome, how may I help you?" He tried clearing the counter.

"I'd like to pawn this watch."

He took the watch and placed it on the counter, he inspected the parts and used a weird-looking device. "The diamonds are real."

"A marvelous beauty isn't it?"

"Stravos, look at this watch, it looks like the one you wore earlier." He pointed out.

"Uh? I lost mine on the way here."

My body turned to stone, seeing who walked out from the other room, my new arch-nemesis! A smirk came across his sinful lips. He'd gotten more handsome than the last time I saw him, how is that possible?

"You two know each other?"

Stravos seethes between his perfectly white teeth, "Yes. I saved this girl's life earlier, and she didn't even thank me, now she has the guts to come here and pawn my watch."