Chapter 35

Angie

I wipe my dirty palms into my orange jumpsuit as Stella walks across the bunk bed. She was my room mate and the bitch is just aggressive when it comes to giving me privacy.

Right, there was none.

The prison cell was barely six feet by four. The walls were the same thick grey stone as the dwellings of the region but instead of a wide window with a flower box, there was a mean barred opening with thick metal bars and no glass.

This was hell on earth.

In the morning, the fresher air was a relief, helping to alleviate the stench of festering sewage but in the cold, it let in a wicked draft and reduced the temperature to near freezing.

It was no brighter inside than the gathering gloom of dusk, even at midday. The bed was a plank of wood on legs and the mattress looked like a home for rats. It was either suffocatingly quiet or pierced with the screams of tortured inmates.

They treated us like animals in this shit hole.

Given enough time a person could forget their own name in here, the isolation was total and the stimulation was zero. I etched my name into the concrete with the sharpened end of an old used toothbrush.

There was no sound, no light, no furniture or cloth of any kind. All we can feel was the cool walls but even they were moaning.

Ten minutes after the morning shift has begun, the screams are layered one on top of the other, a gruesome choir of pain from the other inmates.

The only thing that gave away the rooms true purpose was the heavy metal bars at the window and a guard stationed outside 24/7.

Although truth be known, the guard was actually more of a waiter providing room service around the clock, attending to the whims of the 'guests.' I wish the fat bastard would just turn over on his belly and die.

The prison messes with gender and age, not knowing who they were before... It's messed up.

I killed an innocent person. I deserved to be here, got a sixteen year sentence on licence with the probation service to follow. The family of the deceased was devasted and they wanted me to get life imprisonment.

Suckers.

I felt no fear, no sorrow or remorse for what I did, that woman deserved the taste of death. The look on her face while she got stabbed was priceless. There was blood everywhere, I painted my apartment a beautiful crimson!

I can still hear her screams, begging me to stop, to please spare her life. How pathetic, she must be in hell now, kissing the devil's ass. I started laughing and Stella stares at me like I was crazy.

She got a five year sentence, should have been me. I'd get to leave this dump faster.

The chubby guard forces himself up from the wooden chair with a creak, he belches from the donut he ate earlier before coming over to the iron bars.

"Angie, someone is here to see you."

He says, swinging the near rusty keys on his thick finger.

"Visitors? Who the hell is it?" I spit in a metal pan by the bed and he starts to unlock the cell.

"Come see fer yourself, get yer lazy ass up."

He coughs, wheezing.

I showed him my middle finger and walked through the cell bars, two other guards handcuffed my wrists and ankles and led me to the visiting area.

The last person to visit was my sister, my other family members didn't give a horse shit about me.

Not even my father who always supported me, he's nothing but used toilet paper. I finally entered the large room seeing other prisoners, speaking on telephones. A female guard brought me to a vacant cubicle and my jaw dropped.

That's my visitor?!

Vangolio, he's utter head ache.

I sat down on the stool and the guard unlocks my cuffs. I rubbed my wrists, those things are too tight. I took up the phone, placing it at my ear.

"Hello Angie, how's prison, must be a bed of roses." He laughs, hitting the counter.

"That's why you came here, to laugh at my face? Just die."

My lips snarled.

"No, that's not the reason - well partly but my main purpose is to tell you --"

"You got ten minutes," the guard gave him a reminder.

I drew my thumb across my neck at her and she ignores me. Stupid bitch.

"As I was saying before that interruption. The purpose of my visit is to let you know that Glenn and Serenity is engaged to be married in the next few months."

I screamed, falling off the stool but dragged myself up like a zombie, growling.

Everyone in the room stared at me in shock and if it was possible to breathe fire, I'd scorch them to ashes.

This cannot be happening, my lip bled at the stab of my teeth and I kicked over the chair.

"Let me out of this place!" I yell, slamming my shoulder into the glass.

He moves away.

It cracks and one of the guards rushes towards me, I was tased instantly to the ground, frothing at the mouth.

"You have to let me out!"

They cuffed my wrists and I gnashed at them but they bagged my head with a thin fabric. I tossed and rolled around, struggling to break out of the restraint.

"Glenn!!" I screamed, "I will get you!"

"Oh, you have no getting out." A male guard scorns, grabbing my arm and pulled me up.

"Rot - in - hell .." I growled and he roughly pushed me forward with his baton.

There's no way, that he is going to marry her, where ever you are Zeejabel, you must stop that marriage! I've helped you get your enemy out of the way so you can have Salvatore. It was hard watching Glenn in misery but it had to be done.

I'm certain, she has met Serenity by now, there's nothing to worry about. She is my good friend and will do the work that I'm unable to carry out, she must!

The guards led me back to the cell, they removed the bag and pushed me inside.

The iron door slammed shut, leaving me laughing.