Chapter 13

Glenn

Stavros listens as if my words were golden, perhaps some elixir that he's been waiting for. I could tell he was thinking deeply, already with a strategy, several moves ahead of what I'm discussing.

We both listened attentively to each other, giving intelligent responses. My office offers much privacy and is away from prying ears. He reclined into the chair, crossing his arms over his chest.

I jam my hands in my pocket, watching him as he swings his ankle onto one knee, "So tell me, how long do you plan on putting up with this façade?"

He rolls his eyes in an attempt to cast my inquiry elsewhere, "More importantly, have you told Serenity the truth about who you are?" he cautioned, studying my every movement.

I clenched my jaw, grinding my teeth and raw anger nearly consumed me. He chuckled, tapping his finger on the desk. "Stavros! You can't answer a question with another question." I slammed my fist on the desk.

He sucked in a sharp breath, before glancing at his watch, "Come on dear cousin, Serenity is such a tender soul, she deserves to know," He sizes me up with a provoking grin. "Or are you worried that she might be comforted by my arm?"

Without another second to spare, I was before his face. Fury surged through my veins, staring him down.

I knew he had eyes for her, the hairs on my neck suffered violence, standing up like razor-sharp needles. He bit back his anger, smoothing the wrinkles out of his jacket.

"You're such a good actor, you deserve a Grammy." I cocked my nose.

He laughed, it was shallow and forced, "You're not too shabby yourself Giornno." He placed a strong emphasis on my last name as if he were reminding me of who I am.

I stared him dead in the eyes, "Stay the hell away from her. I'm warning you, just know that fake family of yours, it's only to fool the crowd." 

He shrugs, "It's intended for that purpose but only for a time. Once the contract ends, I'll be kicking Florence out of my place and Katy can return to her real parents," he says pouring himself some vodka.

My assistant will be here in the next couple of minutes so I can get ready for a press conference. "I'm afraid this meeting ends here -"

He overtakes me, "I'm sure she won't forget that I'm the one who saved her life." he used the desk to support his hands while leaning forward, "I'm a true man to her more than you can ever be."

He was drawing me out but instead of arguing, I remained calm and collected. A placid smile curled my lips, "You have a client, she has a case for you that requires legal action." I reminded him.

He stepped out of my office, when the door shuts at his back, I fell apart over my desk. My shoulders were hunched over and only the heavenly rays of sunshine, penetrating the window gave me warmth. He's my relative but I can't help but feel protective of Serenity.

My insecurities have driven me to avoid physical contact with her. I was afraid of commitment, afraid of myself, what if I'm not good enough? I guess I should be ashamed of that somehow, aren't we all supposed to be tough? Yet I prefer to be strong, strong enough to risk being broken all over again, to love again, fully knowing my fragility.

I've known heartbreak enough to shatter my mind, to leave my soul feeling like dust in the wind and my body unwilling to live.

I wanted her more than she could ever know but my heart wouldn't let me express my feelings. I've never felt so happy being with her, she brings out the best in me and I still don't know how she feels about me, about us. I took one big gulp from the bottle of Vodka and my eyelids droop heavily, staring listlessly out the window.