IF YOU JUST SMILE

Start from the beginning

"What happened to your mother, Bass?" I ask, knowing that there is no good time to discuss this, and I might as well go for it.

Bass blinks down at me, and I see something fragile in his dark features. Pausing, I know he is contemplating what to say. Exhaling, he offers me a sad smile, "she died, Bella. Just like your madre." He doesn't need to add more.

When my fire is exhausted, and the wind picks up, I know the storm is only increasing. Thunder and lightning are clashing fiercely against the coast. I remove my hands from Bass's chest, surprised that I did not experience the same amount of pain I do with Alexei. With my dress and body now soaked, I move, reach out and open the doors to the conservatory and walk inside.

Deciding to take one of the servant's passages, Bass and I thankfully slip past the guests still celebrating the Yule, utterly unaware of what has just occurred, and make our way to Alexei's wing. Passing the library, I pause and enter, going directly to the large windows and peer out to the Belle garden.

The electrical storm is magnificent in its destructive beauty. I have never seen anything like it. "Is that normal?" I ask Bass as he comes to stand beside me.

"Alexei doesn't visit the Belle garden for obvious reasons. Watching our piccolo angelo fall must have triggered something deep within him. Also, Riam appearance didn't help. He was picking at a wound that has never healed."

I nod slowly and continue to watch the storm outside unfold.

*****************************************************************

Stirring from my sleep, I feel a gentle hand in my hair and slowly blink my eyes open. Alexei is sitting on the side of my bed, his clothes disheveled, and a faraway look is in his eyes. When he notices that I am awake, he removes his hand. "I am sorry мой маленький спитфайр. I," he pauses, his hands fidgeting and his left eye twitching.

Alexei's usual stoic manner is gone, and the man before me is, for lack of better words, a mess.

I lift myself into a sitting position, my back resting against the headboard, my hand automatically reaching out to take one of his gloved ones in mine. "Talk to me," I ask him.

"I," Alexei starts again, then stops. I use my other hand to wipe the sleep from my eyes, my vision clearing a little more so I can see that his eyes are red-rimmed. Pausing for another heartbeat, he shudders, and I think. No, I know, he's sobbing.

"Alexei." I tug on his hand and pull him further onto the bed, shuffling aside so his head can rest on my lap. The duvet is my only protection from his skin.

I draw on my fire and steel myself. When I know that I am partially protected against Alexei's charge, I reach out and run a finger through his hair. The gesture provides some form of comfort.

"I'm sorry." Alexei chokes out. "I, I didn't. I."

"Alexei, it's okay," I try to soothe.

"When I saw her on the ledge, I froze. I," Alexei sniffs, "I didn't mean to."

I bite back the tiny sting at the touch of his skin and try to remain in his hair. "Bass told me," I tell him. Alexei shudders and sniffs again.

"It bought back. God, Princess, when I saw Isla on the ledge when she fell. I..." His voice breaks.

"Tell me, Alexei. Tell me what happened to your mother. Maybe talking about it will help?" I've never been great with consoling others. Well, other than Ava and I guess you could also include Griffin when I was young. But something in Alexei's behavior has me rocked. This usually powerful, arrogant man is allowing himself to be vulnerable.