chapter sixty-five

Start from the beginning

Maya giggled, "Yeah. I'm sitting on her lap."

"Let me talk to her," Lee said.

Maya handed me the phone, "Bye daddy."

"Bye princess. I love you."

She giggles,"I love you too daddy."

I gently place her off my lap and get up and go out the room. "We're about to leave. I just need to get a few things together." I say.

"I was thinking about a vacation after all of this. Lord knows you need it the most, what do you think?"

"A vacation would be nice," I agree. "Somewhere kid friendly though. I want to bring Maya."

"I was thinking about Spain. Maya loves looking at architecture and going to museums. I was thinking we could take her to Picasso Museum in Barcelona."

"Yeah she'll love that. I was thinking next year we would take her to Brazil for Carnival because she always wanted to go and we couldn't go this year, well because— you know..." I trailed off.

Lee hummed. "She really misses Brazil and the weather over there." I say.

Lola comes into the kitchen and gets out tequila, limes, salt, and a shot glass. "I know. She talks about Brazil all the time. She says she misses the talking parrots?" It came out as a question. "Something like that," he mumbled.

"She wants a talking parrot for her birthday." Lee added.

"Absolutely not." I say. Lola chuckles and throws back a shot.

"Why not?" Lee asked.

"Because they're creepy and they wouldn't shut up when I tried to sleep and Maya would sneak them in our bedroom and sometimes I would take up with them in my face." I explain.

"So no on the parrot," he mumbled.

"She gave me a list. The list includes a pony, unicorn, another dog so Luna won't be lonely, a bunny, a laptop, a new iPad, a phone, books, a tank full of glowing fish, a trip to Disney World with her cousins, a sleep over with her friends from the park, a trip to the moon, going to broadway to see Black Panther, a pet monkey, a trip to the safari over in Africa, a pet Giraffe, a pet Elephant, and many more things."

I laugh, "A pet Giraffe and Elephant? Where would we even put them? The Elephant would probably trample over us."

He stopped talking when I heard the door opened. Someone mumbled a few words and Lee spoke in Korean. "Everyone is ready. You and your mother ready to go?" Lee asked.

I nod, "We'll meet you there." I say and hang up.

"I'm going back to Brazil." Lola stated as she washed out her shot glass.

"To live permanently?" I ask.

"Si. Muita merda aconteceu na América para eu ficar. Eu gosto do Brasil. É a terra natal do meu pai. Livre de problemas e merda da máfia." (Too much shit happened in America for me to stay. I like Brazil. It's my father's home country. Free of trouble and mafia shit.)

"E Março?" I ask. (And Marco?)

"E ele?" (What about him?)

"Ele quer um relacionamento com você. Eu posso dizer que ele se sente excluído porque eu conheço você mais do que ele e meus irmãos mais velhos tendo sua própria mãe de volta também não ajuda." I explain.

(He wants a relationship with you. I can tell he feels left out because I know you more than he does and my older brothers having their own mother back also doesn't help.)