chapter thirty

"Where were you at in this one?" Marco asked

I looked over, "Uh that was when I took our mom to Carnival in Brazil." I say.

"Stop moving your head." I mumble as I pluck Kai's eyebrows. Her hands massaged my ass.

I slap her hands, "ooh your butt is getting bigger." She said with a cheeky grin.

"Thanks babe, i've been working on my glutes." I say.

Today was the day of the fashion event. I was doing Kai's eyebrows for her.

"What about this one?" Marco asked.

"That one was our sixteen birthday. She bought two cakes and said it was for someone she lost. I didn't know she was talking about you." I say.

He stared at the video of me blowing out the candles for the one that said "happy birthday M.A.F," his initials on the cake.

I finished Kai's eyebrows and got off of her. "I'm going to get ready. I'll call you when I need help putting in the extension in. Thanks for the help" Kai said and went out the door.

I turned back, Marco was still staring at the video. I pulled the phone away from him and cut it off, Lola's cheering going silent.

"She thought about me?" He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I never heard her talk about you. But she got you a cake so yeah."

"How was she?" He asked.

"You know . . . like when she was sober." He added on.

I sat down beside him, "She was very . . ."

I closed my mouth as I thought about the right way to approach his question.

"She was very diligent and amiable. Always making sure I ate or had a jacket on when it was windy outside. Lola had a kind of warmth to her that drugs and the Russian's took away from her." I say.

"And when she wasn't sober?" He asked.

I looked at him, he looked back at me. I sighed and wiped my hand down my face.

"She was a bitch. Never take to heart what a drug addict says. They use you to get what they want then crush you under the sole of their shoe like you're a fucking bug. They make you feel shitty so then they can manipulate you into giving them what you want. She did anything she could to get her hand on any type of drug. She didn't care who she hurt." I say.

"I'm glad she didn't take you because you're heart would be crushed into a million fucking pieces every time she let you down." He visibly flinched at my harsh tone.

I get up from the couch. "Come on, we have to get ready." I say.

Without another look at me he got up and walked out the door, shutting it behind him.