chapter sixty-three

Lee's voice startles me out my day dream

Lee's voice startles me out my day dream. "What're you doing up? It's five in the morning." He asked and wrapped his arms around me from behind.

"And why are you standing on the balcony with a sleeping Maya? Did she have a nightmare or something?" He asked and kissed my neck.

I clear my throat and turn around. "We need to talk." I say.

He stared at me for a moment then he nodded, clearly confused. We go back inside and I shut the balcony doors.

I lay Maya down on the bed and sit across from Lee. I grab my phone and show him the messages I received. He stared down at the messages, not saying anything.

"My mother received the same message and pictures. She thinks it'll be best if Maya and I stay with her until all of this ends, to ensure our safety. She doesn't want Maya to get caught in all of this so she thinks staying with her is the best option. I also think so too." He looks up from the phone at my last statement.

"When I was with my mother there was no pictures, no threatening messages towards Maya, nothing about her. As her mother I need to protect her from any harm and this is the best way possible."

"I agree." Lee said.

"If the Russian's are going to go that far and threaten our child, then we'll protect her. Even though your mother may not like me, she has proven she is the safest option for you two."

"She doesn't like you because you're long." I blurt out.

Lee furrowed his brows and looked at me with a confused expression. "Her words not mine." I mumble.

"When are you leaving?" He asks.

I look down and tap the phone in his lap, "Forty-five minutes."

He suddenly stood up. "I'll go make you a quick breakfast while you get ready." Without another word he walked out the room.

I sigh and crawl over to Maya. I kiss her back a few times and lightly shake her. I lay beside her when she opens up her eyes.

She smiles when she sees me, "Hi Mommy."

"Hi baby." I say and pick her up. She sighs against my chest.

"We're going to be staying at Noni's for a little." I say and walk into the bathroom. I turn on the light and sit her on the counter.

"Okay Mommy," She mumbled, her eyes still shut. I run a bath for her and take off her sweaty clothes. I don't know why kids sweat so much in their sleep, it's slightly creepy if you ask me.