29

Chapter Twenty Nine: Separate

Houston, Texas
May 12th
Beyoncé G. Knowles:

"I just wanna talk to him, I'm not gonna beat him or nothing," My father crashed his large hand on the back of Emilio's neck, but Emilio being the strong, determined man he was, he stood tall and held his hand out for my father to shake.

"We can talk, sir."

I could tell Mr. Brooks' teachings for his children were all one in the same, and they were very effective. Emilio looked my father in his eyes, still being held in my father's grip.

Without another word, they walked off to the den. Unbeknownst to my father, Emilio felt safest within the walls of any den near. It was just the atmosphere, he'd told Megan and I once.

I held Onika closer to me by her waist, feeling her body quake under the pressure. My father could be intense and she would get her taste soon, but my mother was sweeter than syrup. There wasn't a judging bone in her body, a jealous gaze in her eyes, or a sly move in her touch. She was 100% sweetness, I was sure that's why my father married her. To pass up someone so full of lessons and love would be the biggest mistake he could've ever made. I wouldn't be who I am, and Onika wouldn't be carrying my twins within her womb.

Megan intertwined our fingers and I could feel them sweating. So she wasn't worried about Onika and I anymore?

"You and who?!" Megan shouted, and I pressed my hand against her mouth, chuckling.

"Hush."

"Are you serious? This whole time I was worried about how you would look at me for fucking somebody husband and you fucking somebody wife? And getting her pregnant?! You really living a double life huh?"

"It's not like that at all, I just couldn't risk it."

"You couldn't trust me?"

"You obviously couldn't trust me with your Giovanni situation. It's not that different."

"It kinda is. Y'all finna have a family and shit. I can't believe you didn't say anything."

I could tell she was annoyed and offended that I didn't tell her, but I couldn't feed bad. If I would've told her any earlier, I would've been found out one way or another. She was way too close to the Brooks'.

Onika looked over at our hands and cleared her throat. To say she hated Megan would honestly be an understatement. Every time she came around me, Onika was watching her every move, making sure that the fling between us didn't happen again. She couldn't stand Megan.

My mom patted the space next to her and Megan started to sit down, but she called for Onika who was already scared shitless.

"Calm down."

Houston, Texas
May 12th
Onika T. Maraj:

"Are you scared?"

"No ma'am."

"You look scared."

I couldn't figure this woman out for the life of me. Her tone was calm and collected, but I know if a grown woman came home with my 19-year-old, I would feel a way. This woman just seemed like there wasn't an ounce of stress in her body.