14

Chapter Fourteen: S(He) Knows

Manhattan, New York
December 11th
Onika T. Maraj:

My leg shook as I waited for Giovanni in the crowded airport. To save my feelings from being more hurt than they were, I refused to go looking into the woman he said he'd loved. I didn't ask Asia anything because I couldn't trust her anymore. She sat in my face, acting like she was my best friend all while knowing my husband was cheating on me, in love with someone else.

I was more frustrated than nervous. Even though he was eyeing me like he knew my little secret, I couldn't care less anymore. He had a theory, I had the truth. He'd said it in his own words, from his own mouth. He just didn't say it to me.

When he saw me, he smiled and walked over to me, twirling me like he usually did when he came back from 'work'. I continued to embrace him as usual until he put me down on my feet.

"I missed you so much girl."

Everything had me thinking of her.

"I missed you too."

We walked through the airport together, hand in hand. I knew he was about to start asking questions when he squeezed my hand.

"So what'd you do for your birthday?"

"Took myself on a date, called Asia," I gave him the same answer I gave him the last time he asked me. He thought he was about to trip me up. He knew I hadn't called Asia because she was his alibi for some reason. He just couldn't tell me because it would definitely cause him to snitch on himself.

"That's it?" He looked at me. "Did you have any fun?"

"Wasn't in the mood. How I usually do it and how it happened this year messed with my head."

"I'm sorry baby," He stopped walking and stood in front of me, pouting. He picked me up, my legs instinctively wrapped around his waist. "When we get home, I'll give you whatever you want," He was kissing me all over my face the way he did when he was in the doghouse for real.

He just kept telling on himself.

All I said was okay. Right now, Giovanni had nothing I wanted. He could keep kissing up all he wanted, but all I wanted was for him to get out of my face.

When we got back home, he didn't ask how classes went the way he usually would. He was good on his promise of 'doing whatever I wanted'. He thought I still wanted the crazy, bizarre sex I'd told him about before. I didn't want it anymore, I already had it, and now I only wanted her to do it to me.

He knew I had a pair of handcuffs so after he showered, he was really trying. He had crawled between my legs, kissing me.

There was no tension the way it should've been. I didn't feel like jumping him, mounting him, or riding him the way I felt so strongly to do to Beyoncé. I wanted to go back to being oblivious to his emotional infidelity. I could've accepted it if it was physical, but this was different.

He sucked his teeth and stood up, crossing his arms. I followed suit so I was standing in front of him, my arms crossed too.

"What you really do on your birthday?"

"I told you what I did, but for some reason, you don't trust me."