1

Chapter One: Lecture

Manhattan, New York
August 9th
Beyoncé G. Knowles:

I dropped the last of my things onto my dorm room bed then sat down on the floor, trying to calm myself. Leaving Texas to continue my studies all the way in New York at Baruch was harder than I anticipated. I knew I would get homesick the moment I got here, I was already missing my mom, sister, and my father. The closest to home I'd brought with me was Megan, my best friend.

When college acceptance letters began rolling out, Megan was more discouraged because every letter she received was some college declining her. I felt so bad because I knew there was nothing I could do. Even though I knew it wouldn't do anything, I called Baruch on her behalf. She applied just for fun, but it'd stopped becoming funny real fast. A week or two later, Baruch sent her an acceptance letter. I didn't tell her about what I did, but I could see her face light up when she got the letter. Both of us were even happier when we realized that we were roomed together.

The door opened and in walked Megan with that big smile of hers. She dropped the last of her belongings and sat down next to me. She laid her head on my shoulder.

"I already know what you're thinking."

"What am I thinking?" I asked.

"You wanna go home, but girl, this is not high school. We are in college now, it's a whole new ballgame. It might be harder, but we can do whatever we want."

"You sound excited."

"I've been waiting for college since middle school. I already have a welcome party lined up for us. They said all freshman are welcome."

"Here you go with your mess. Who is they?"

"The seniors."

"You are the definition of bait."

"Girl!" She shouted then giggled. "You coming or what?"

"What," I answered. "I wish I could, and you wish you could too, but we have our first lecture tonight."

"We just got here," She rolled her eyes, exasperated.

I wanted to tell her this is why she didn't get into those other colleges that she applied to, but I loved her so I didn't say nothing. Internally, I knew. Megan had always been more of a party girl anyway, but she meant well and she had good intentions.

"It starts at seven."

"I already don't feel like going."

"You don't ever feel like going to nothing."

"Besides parties, because those are fun. Lectures are not."

I shook my head and stood up, starting to put my things away. If I was going to even think about going to a lecture and being okay with sitting there for an hour and some change, I needed to be settled and clean.

I knew I was also trying to keep myself busy to keep my mind off of my family. I missed them more than anything. My heart ached just to see them, but if I did, I would cry like a baby.