22

Chapter Twenty Two: Dead Man Walking

Manhattan, New York
February 21st
Beyoncé G. Knowles:

I sighed when I saw Megan on her bed, crying again.

When I came back from Onika's house a week ago, she was doing the same thing. She wouldn't tell me why she was crying but she also couldn't stop bawling long enough to actually say anything.

I walked over and sat down beside her, wrapping my arms around her. She laid her head on my shoulder and I could feel her tears on my shirt.

"Can you please tell me what's wrong with you? I hate seeing you cry, and then I can't do anything because I don't know what's going on."

"I already know you look at me different for sleeping with somebody's husband," She sniffled. "I don't want you looking at me any differently than you do."

I chuckled. No I didn't. If anything, she'd be looking at me differently for sleeping with someone's wife and falling in love with her. I couldn't help it. It just is what it is. Megan should know by now that I would never judge her, no matter what she did.

"You can tell me anything Megan. I would never judge you and you should know that."

"I had an abortion," She started crying harder. "And Emilio broke up with me."

She was crying so hard, whatever she said next, I knew I wouldn't understand it.

I squeezed her tight. "I don't see you any differently than I did before you told me you were having sex with him. You're still my best friend. What are you sad about?"

"I don't know," She cried then went silent. "I miss Emilio. I think he's going after Giovanni."

"What?"

"I could see it in his eyes. He wasn't even mad at me, he was sad for me. He told me I sabotaged the one good thing that happened to me."

"Why did you let him talk to you like that?"

"He didn't lie."

"He loves you, everybody can tell. Maybe you need to do something big for him or give something special to him. Let him know that you're genuinely sorry and you'll do anything to get him back. I know you want him back."

"That's all I want," She sniffled. "I wish I would've never did it."

"Is he at least good in bed?"

"Giovanni?"

"Yes."

"It was okay. Nothing like you or Emilio."

"Can't nobody touch me in bed," I joked and she lifted her head off of my shoulder, giggling. "You're gonna get him back. He loves you."

Manhattan, New York
February 21st
Emilio A. Brooks:

"Son may I speak to you for a minute?"

I held my hand up to the crowd that stood around me then followed my father into his office.

"Adi you too!"