Chapter Three

The next time I wake up, I realize I'm inside Anya. The doctor told me I would gain consciousness around twenty weeks. In school they taught us that at twenty weeks along, babies start to kick and move around more, to the point where mothers can feel the baby kick from the outside.

It's dark in here and I can hear Anya's heart beating. It's a constant thump thump thump sound. I'm floating in thick liquid and I'm curled up so my knees are touching my stomach. Stretching my legs out, I give an experimental kick.

My foot hits something hard and I do it again. Anya's heart starts to beat faster and she must've moved because my body is shifted inside her. "Maxim! Wake up!" I hear her shout from the outside.

"What? What's wrong?" Maxim grumbles.

I can hear them but it's really faint. I know it's because I'm under several lays of skin and floating around in water. "She's kicking! Give me your hand."

The sensation of being pressed on inside the womb is really weird. It feels like being underneath a pool of jelly and somebody reaching through to touch you.

Anya must've pressed Maxim's hand to her stomach because I feel something touch me.

I kick my leg out to get them to stop. I don't want to be touched. Especially because this was all done against my will. "Holy shit! She just kicked my palm!" Maxim shouts, startling me.

My legs kick out again and I aim for his hand. I'm pressed on harder; it doesn't hurt but the sensation is weird. "Hey, babygirl. I know you can hear me in there. I'm your Daddy." Maxim must be speaking against Anya's stomach because the sound is louder and clearer.

Turning my body around, I kick out and hope it hit his nose. "She just rolled. I felt it." Anya sounds so happy. That makes one of us.

Once I'm born, I'm going to shit in so many diapers just to piss them off. I mentally shudder thinking about the process of being born again. The only difference is, I don't remember the first time. I sure as hell will be able to remember being born the second time.

"I read in the baby book that baby's are more active at night because your body is still. When you walk, it's rocking her in the womb." Maxim explains.

I deliver another hard kick that hopefully hits Maxim's face. "No wonder why she's awake at one in the morning. I'm tired, Maxim. Let's go to sleep." Anya says.

My body is moved a little bit, I figure Anya must've turned to her side. "Goodnight, my love." Maxim tells Anya.

"Goodnight, hubby." I hear a smooching noise. Ew, they're kissing.

I stay up the whole night kicking Anya just for the hell of it. She tosses and turns the through all of it, making me smile.

When I was in school, we learned that babies can start to smile in the womb between fifteen and eighteen weeks, and they can even cry at twenty-eight weeks.

To be honest, I don't know if this applies to me, but I am smiling so I guess it does. My body starts to get tired so I slow my kicks. "Thank god." Anya mutters.

"Why are you thanking him?" Maxim groans, his voice sounds deeper from lack of sleep.

"The baby's been kicking me for the last three hours and I haven't been able to sleep. I think she's falling asleep now." Anya turns again and I feel a hand placed on top of her stomach.

The hand rubs a little bit and then Maxim says, "Shhh, baby. Go to sleep. We have an appointment tomorrow and we're both sleepy."

Surprisingly, I do as he says. My eyes close and my knees curl back up to my chest.