C.1

*Jade*

"Corner!" I shouted as I maneuvered my way through the busy diner.

I carried the warm tray of food balanced on my palm with ease after having done it over a thousand times. Saturday nights always flooded our 24-hour open doors with drunk or high customers. Most of the time both. They came here in the early hours of the morning in search of a hot meal after a night out.

"Excuse me? May I- H-have syrup?" A boy who looked around my age asked between burps.

His friends laughed at his piggish manners, and while I didn't find the action rude, I could feel my envy growing towards the group.

It had to be nice to be able to enjoy weekends free from school or work. To be able to enjoy your life.

"Coming right up," I faintly smiled before making my way back towards the kitchen.

My typical week looked looked a little like this for me:
Monday through Friday consisted of classes, then Friday, Saturdays, and Sunday nights in my town's local diner. Where I had to work to help my parent's pay bills.

I tried not to complain. Helping pay a few bills wasn't bad since they pay for my tuition, but I had reached the point past stressed.

I felt utterly worn out.

Out of my four classes only one of them surpassed an 'F' average, with a whopping 'D' instead.

The end of the first semester would be here in a month, and the daunting thought of failure sat heavy on my mind everyday.

"There you guys go. Enjoy, and let me know if you need anything else," I politely smiled after dropping off the syrup.

They all gave me a 'Thank you' before I walked back into the bustling kitchen.

"Hey sugar, I'm about to go on break really quick. I have to call and check on my son. I just seated a man over in the corner if you don't mind taking care of him," Erica, one of my favorite coworkers said.

Erica was the only person around that kept me going besides my dog, Dexter. I never had a best friend through out school, and didn't have time to make any in college. So that left me with my dog and Erica to confide in.

"Yes ma'am-I'm on it," I shot her a wink before whizzing back out front.

I quickly scanned the diner for the table. In a matter of seconds I laid eyes on it to find a very well dressed man.

I observed him the entire time I walked over. He had on crisp black dress pants and I could tell the leather shoes on his feet cost quite a penny. His matching suit jacket sat folded neatly beside him, allowing me to see his swollen muscles be hugged by his dress shirt nicely.

A sophisticated silver watch wrapped around his wrist, and a matching black tie dangled from his sharp collar. I admired his tan skin and stubbled beard on his face until I finally stood in front of him, and his dark eyes glanced up at me.

"Welcome to Benny's my name's Jade and I'll be serving you tonight. What drink can I get you started with?" I somehow said without a single stutter.