I heard Aditi's footsteps. She came inside the office too and shut the door behind her.

"I was doing something."

"Now you're talking to me. Sit down, both of you."

We both sat. He was staring between us. "A week ago, Giovanni Maraj came into my office to tell me that his wife was fraternizing with a student that attends this university. Emilio, I know that you are very close with someone who attends one of her classes."

I scoffed. "We aren't close anymore."

"What happened?" He asked me.

"She cheated on me with Giovanni."

He hummed and sat back in his seat. I could see he was ruling Giovanni out as a reliable source. I wanted him gone for touching my woman.

I knew I should've been angry with her, but I loved her too much. I couldn't see her as the devil here the way I saw Giovanni.

He, my father, and I had a long standing sort of.. rivalry. Giovanni always thought everyone's woman belonged to him even when he had that gem of his at home, sitting, waiting, longing for him to come home. I was glad that someone had finally come to swoop her up to the point where he was scrambling and putting his business in the hands of my father.

The large age gap between him and I meant nothing to me. I was trained skillfully from the moment I was able to stand, walk, and speak. I couldn't say the same for Giovanni. Protecting my little sister came first, then the woman I decided I'd love for the rest of my life, and then of course, my father.

I looked at this infidelity as a lesson and a blessing. Who Megan decided to cheat with gave me incentive to get my hands on him. My father said a man who moves on impulse, is a man who will always lose. I'd never had an actual personal reason to go after Giovanni, just ones I felt were morally wrong. Now, I do. He'd touched my gem while someone else touched his.

"Aditi, you can go back to what you were doing," He dismissed her, but he knew his daughter. She wasn't going for it.

"Daddy I know what you're doing."

"You find out everything anyway, my smart girl. Go," He smiled at her and I heard her leave and shut the door behind her.

His smile dropped and he looked at me. "Do you believe him?"

"About what?"

"About his wife."

I did. I wanted to. I needed to. But I didn't need to tell my father that.

"I don't think anything that comes out of Giovanni Ferrara's mouth is credible."

"Why then? Why would he come to me to tell on his wife?"

"Giovanni's a cheater himself. He's been that way for years. My guess is that she found out and he can't do anything about it so he came to you."

He nodded his head repeatedly like he was taking in the information I was giving him. I'd just fed him bullshit. I needed him not to believe Giovanni so he could go in with me or just let me put him to sleep for good.