Chapter 53

JJ's POV:

"Emily!" I run over to her. "No, no, no. You're gonna be okay." I put pressure on her stomach to stop the bleeding. "I'm sorry."

People start running out of the diner.

"Go. Get him. I'll be okay." She says.

"I can't leave you." I say with tears running down my face.

"Go."

"Someone call 911!" I yell while running after the man. I can still see him running off in the distance. I grab my phone and call Hotch.

"Hello?" He says.

"Hotch!"

"What's wrong JJ?"

"It's Emily. She's been shot. I see the man that shot her. It has to be our unsub." I say while chasing after him.

"JJ don't go after him. You don't have your gun. Wait for backup."

"No! If she dies and we don't get him I'll never forgive myself."

"Jennifer-"

I hang up the phone. He's still running. He's about half a mile from me but I'm gaining distance on him. He's gonna stop soon and that's my best opportunity.

I chase him all the way down the long street. He is right near me now. There is a lot of on coming cars. There's no way he can get pass them. And thankfully one gets him. He's not dead but he's knocked over. And I got him.

I jump on top of him and wrestle the gun out of his hand and I throw it to the side. "Stay down!" I don't have handcuffs but I hear sirens not far in the distance, so cops will be here soon.

We stay like this for another 2 minutes before the cops pull up to us and arrest him. I finally see a ambulance pulling into the diner. I run back over to Emily as they wheel her in. They let me in the back with her.

I grab her hand while they start working on her wound. "You're going to be okay Emily. You've faced worse. I got him darling. I got him. Just let them work now. I'll be here when you wake up."

She tries to talk with the oxygen mask over her mouth. "Don't talk darling, talk to me when they get you all fixed up. I love you."

~~~~

We pull into Strong Memorial hospital and they take her into surgery and they lead me to the waiting room. I text Hotch where I am and I slowly wait for the team to arrive.

After 20 minutes the team comes walking in.

"JJ what the hell happened?" Derek asks.

"We- we were just finishing lunch. An- and we walked out of the diner. And then we heard gun shot. And next thing I- I know Emily's on the ground bleeding. I tried to stay with her but she begged me to get him. I needed to. I'm sorry. This is all my fault."

"JJ this isn't your fault. This is only one persons fault and he's going to prison for a long time." Rossi says.

"What if she doesn't make it?" I say.

"That won't happen. She's strong you know this. She has survived much worse." Hotch says.

"Has anyone told Garcia?" Reid says.

"I didn't." I say. The rest of the team shakes their head. "I'll call her." I walk away from the rest of the group and I find a stairwell.

"Hey Garcia."

"Sweet peach, why do you sound sad?"

"Garcia, Emily is in the hospital."

"What! What happened?" She says.

"We went to a diner and on our way out she was shot by our unsub. I got him but she's in surgery right now. We don't know anything."

"Oh my god. I'm getting the first flight to New York."

She hangs up the phone and I take a seat on one of the steps. Tears are still streaming down my face.

"God damn it! This wasn't supposed to happen. Why can't we just have one normal week." I hear someone coming down the stairs. I move over to the wall so I'm not in their way. I try to quiet my sobs.

"Hey, are you okay?" A female voice asks.

"I'm fine." God that didn't sound convincing one bit.

"You don't look fine. Wanna talk about it? I'm not on call so if you want to we can."

I look up to meet her eye level. She's brunette with blue eyes. And she's clearly a doctor here. Still in her scrubs.

She takes a seat next to me. "I'm Amelia."

"Jennifer. But everyone calls me JJ."

"So what's got you all worked up. I heard you yelling."

"My girl- my friend, she got shot in the stomach after we left a diner. It was a normal day so far, and it was going really well, and then a man shot her and took off running."

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry Jen- JJ. Is she in surgery? I could probably get you a update."

"No it's fine. I'll wait a little bit." I say.

"Did the police get him?"

"I did. I'm the police. Well FBI. I tried to stay with her but she told me she would be okay and she told me to get him. I chased his all the way down the street and then a car hit him. Not hard enough to kill him, just enough to knock him down. So I straddled him and got the gun away from him, and then I waited for the police to arrest him since I didn't have anything."

"Jesus, I'm so sorry. If there's anything I can do please let me know. I know how it feels to watch someone you love get shot."

"Who did you see get shot?" I ask.

"My father. I was 5 and we were in his store and 2 men came in to rob the store and then they wanted his watch. He said no since my mother saved up to buy him that watch and he loved it. So they shot him. They didn't even grab the watch after, they just ran out. My brother Derek and I were in the back of the store waiting for them to leave."

"That must to be so hard for a kid to see. Im sorry for your loss. I really hope they caught who did it."

"Thank you, they did. When they were running the police found them. You should probably get back to the waiting room. I bet they will have some news for you soon." She takes out a pad and writes something on the back. "Here's my number, call me if you need anything."

"Thank you, Amelia." She gives me a nod before walking away.

I slowly stand up and fix myself up a bit before walking back into the waiting room with the rest of my team.