CHAPTER 26

-

The clinking of cutlery hitting the glass bowls was a normal low and serene sound that showed the quietness, the people around the dining table, shared.

Jeongguk kept his eyes on the soup that he was having, not bothering to look up at anyone. Not even Heejin, who herself stayed quiet and had her meal.

"Whatever you say..." Jaebeom finally spoke up, leaning back on his seat and sighing, "It was foolish of you."

"I'm sorry dad... It won't happen again..." Jeongguk muttered, still looking down as he played with his spoon. "I just thought of the profits... didn't think otherwise."

Jaebeom hummed, "It was a petty membership... so I'm forgiving you." He kept his spoon down, before using the napkin to dab his mouth with it and stood up.

"But dad..." Somi suddenly said, which had everyone looking at her, "How can you let it slide so easily?" She shot an unpleasant look towards Jeongguk, before looking back at her father again. "It involved the company sponsoring me too..." 

Junghyun looked down smirking to himself. He absolutely loved his sister. Jeongguk looked back at his bowl and Heejin's lips pulled themselves together in a small pout, as he looked at him with concern.

Jaebeom sighed, "I will see whom to forgive and what to forget... I don't need your consent to do so." He muttered firmly, before pushing his chair back and walking out of the dining area. But he stopped by the entrance, slipping his hands inside his trouser pockets.

"Jeongguk... Come with me..."

The ravenette nodded, "Yes dad..." He mumbled lowly, before standing up and looking at Somi, who was staring at her with the same shrewdness and displeased look on her face. Heejin stood up with him and smiled, patting his shoulder. "Let's go..." She did not want to stay alone with the two siblings.

Jeongguk walked out of the dining hall, Heejin following until they found Jaebeom in the verandah; his back facing them as he leaned against the grills.

"Go ahead... I'll go to my room..." Heejin smiled, looking at him and so did he, before a small smile graced his lips and he watched her walk up the stairs.

He sighed to himself, his heart racing at the thought of what was to come. He wondered how Jaebeom was going to scold him, insult him or even raise a hand on him.

He tried to not make any mistakes. He tried to do his best in board meetings. But a human made mistakes. Even the most ideal one did. He hoped his father could understand so.

He walked out to the verandah and found his father smoking. "Dad?" He called out and Jaebeom sighed, dropping the cigarette and crushing it with the heel of his shoe.

"Come here..." He said, not looking back at his younger son, who kept his gaze down, as he walked over to him and stood beside him. 

"Jeongguk..." Jaebeom started, and the ravenette was shocked, to be said the least. He did not remember Jaebeom talking to him softly. It had been like forever.

"Don't think that a single mistake... will make you less responsible in my eyes..." He mumbled, turning his head to look at Jeongguk, who was looking at him with lips slightly parted.

"I know you're capable... In every way... Have known so forever..." The elderly man smiled a little. He turned his whole body toward Jeongguk, holding him by his shoulders.

"You may think I've been too harsh on you... But when you'll be in my shoes... You'll realize what life is all about..." He ended with a distant look on his face. His eyes held sadness, guilt and so much more that Jeongguk felt hard deciphering. They were always empty of emotions, but now he saw otherwise.