CHAPTER 20

-

"Hey..."

Taehyung stopped nibbling on the baguette, when he noticed long legs covered in black trousers and feet covered in black polished boots appearing in his eyesight.

He looked up to see Jeongguk's face, which held a small smile.

"I parked the car by the Seine near the Eiffel tower... we can just stroll around by foot... then we can go to the tower at last and drive back to the hotel."

"Okay." Taehyung nodded, pulling up a tight-lipped smile, before looking down at the sweet bread in his hands and taking a bite from it.

They were in the grounds of the Louvre Museum and the sun was currently setting down, leaving an orange and blue glow in the sky.

Taehyung looked back at the Louvre pyramid, glowing amidst the water surrounding it, when-from his peripheral vision- he saw Jeongguk sitting down on the marble boundaries of the fountain, beside him.

"You're okay, right?" The ravenette asked softly, "You were quiet all the while we were in the museum. I don't want you to be gloomy like this..."

Taehyung sighed, looking up at him, "Jeongguk... I... It's so sudden, you know?"

Jeongguk nodded, placing his hand on Taehyung's thigh, "Yeah... go on... I'm here."

Taehyung inhaled sharply, closing his eyes. "I wanted nothing from him. Just wanted him to be with me, through thick and thin. I treated him like my own brother. And what did he do instead?"

He bit his lower lip.

"I couldn't believe whatever he said that day. I was suddenly filled with insecurities..."

Jeongguk took his hand in his, when he noticed how the other was hyperventilating, as his eyes turned glassy.

"I really started questioning myself... if I was a good person...good enough for the society... and I didn't even realize when I had lost myself in my quest to become an ideal person." He sighed, closing his eyes, letting a few tears fall.

"Taehyung..." Jeongguk squeezed his hand reassuringly. "You needn't have tried changing... I bet you were even more amazing then."

"You mean..." Taehyung chuckled, wiping away his tears. "You mean I'm less amazing now?"

"No! I never said that!" Jeongguk immediately said, sitting up straight and smiled sheepishly when he heard the brunette giggling.

"You did not have to try to be what you are now... I know you could have been what you are today, even without trying to change."

Taehyung sighed, with a small smile, "At least.... You shouldn't be saying this to me, Jeongguk."

The ravenette looked down at their hands, before nodding, "Yeah... you're right. We both were fucked up."

"Honestly, the old me... was inclined more towards feelings... that's why I ended up getting hurt by him." The brunette said, looking up at the sky.

"But, after that... I started believing more on rationality. And now I know when I need to be insensitive. I don't get hurt easily." He turned his head, to face Jeongguk again. "I like this me better... because at the end... Only the right ones can fit in the world."

Jeongguk looked at him, amused by the depth of his words. He was really convinced that Taehyung had also a great experience of the bitter world and it was not only because of Jimin. There was something more to Taehyung's story.

"Though, just a single day of rewinding won't hurt." Taehyung broke into a smile, which made Jeongguk copy his action.

He was about to say something, but, Taehyung suddenly snapped his head away from him. He looked down at the little Korean girl, patting Taehyung's lap.