chapter fifty-six

Immense pain encased my entire body

Immense pain encased my entire body. I opened my eyes, my vision blurry. I tightly shut my eyes and opened them once again, my vision much clearer.

I was in different clothes. I had on basketball shorts with t-shirt and my thigh was wrapped in bandages. I in a cell, my body on a lumpy mattress.

I sit up and touch my throbbing head. My hair was in a ponytail now instead of my afro I usually wore. On the right side of my forehead I felt a bandage.

Suddenly, my cell door opened. My biological mother, Lola closed the cell door and stared at me.

Am I hallucinating?

"Sage. Nice to see you."

My lips twisted into a scowl. She stepped closer and held her hands behind her back as she calmly looked around like the cell held any interest.

"Why did you fake your death?" I ask, trying to get her to come closer so I can strangle her.

My mother looked better than I last saw her. She stood strong, confident. Her dark skin looked more shiny and smooth than I remember. Her long hair in a high ponytail.

I hate her.

I hate how she stands there so calmly after helping her enemy kidnap her daughter for the second time in my life. Hell, she maybe even helped with the one when I was 17.

Lord knows the woman was unpredictable.

What I hate even more is that I look exactly like her, just instead of being darkskin I was brownskin. I hate looking like the monster who ruined my life.

Being in a room with her makes my rage shoot through the roof.

She looks calmly at me, "I did what I had to do to survive."

I scoff, "And the kid you were supposedly having?" I ask.

"Dead."  She said and stepped closer.

Just two more steps and I could get her.

I smile, "Thank god, lord knows you don't know how to take care of one."

Instead of getting angry she let the insult bounce off her and she stands taller. Her heels click once as she takes another step towards me.

"Why are you here huh? Does it bring you joy to watch me suffer in here? Or did Gemma— sorry, Annika send you in here to torture me? Never thought you would be another person's minion after Victor let you go, but I guess I thought too highly of you. My mistake."

She calmly took a step closer, right where I want her. "I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. I'm not anyone's puppet nor do I plan—"

My body aches in pain at my sudden movement. With my good leg I swipe her feet right from under her. I crawl off the bed and get up, my head spins, but I don't stop.