Chapter 24

Glenn

The muscles around my left eye twitched as Brianna collapsed on her knees weeping.

She coughs with a hand on her throat but Serenity stooped to give her strength.

"Sir, you have to believe me. I didn't do it - I'd never steal."

She crawls to grab my foot, begging.

".. please don't fire me, please."

The dress that I bought to surprise Serenity for our date was declared missing and I instructed the staff to search the place, from top to bottom.

Agnes found the dress hidden in Brianna's closet and she expects me to believe that nonsense?

She has worked here the longest among the others and to think that she'd do something so disgraceful, hurts me deeply.

Serenity wiped at Brianna's pale face with a small handkerchief, her skin was ashen grey.

"I believe she is innocent, you have to believe her."

Serenity argued, trying to comfort her.

"The dress was found in her room, there's no evidence to show that she didn't take it."

I gathered the entire staff in the meeting hall and everyone stared at each other uncomfortably, the tension in the air was stifling

Brianna's expression stretched into one of despair as if she was about to be burned alive.

Agnes spoke up despite her agitation.

"I believe Brianna, someone must have framed her, maybe it was one of the staff members."

Everyone gasped and they all started talking over each other.

"Silence!"

The noise died instantly and I called Serenity to my side, she nervously walked toward me.

She was rather perplexed by the situation and I could understand, her heart reached out to each and every person in this room, she genuinely cared for the staff despite their poor efforts to show her respect.

That irritated me beyond measure and was pissed very pissed. I really didn't want to take my frustration and anger out on any of them because they have been with me for a long time.

My displeasure faltered and sorrow filled my face, she touched my shoulder and gave me a smile of courage.

"There's a thief among us," I revel with disgust thrusting a hand through my hair, "Serenity's medical veterinary text was discovered in Agnes' room."

She poured herself over the floor and looked like she was about to cry.

"I found it myself," I confirmed.

She stammered.

"But, that can't be possible!" she got up but tripped, "It's a setup, why would I take her text?"

Rage seized me and my fingers refused to move. I sat rigid for one long moment, the blood throbbing in my temples and all the tension marred my forehead.

I can't fire everyone because this doesn't even make sense.

Ballast steps forward with a pleading hand, he was one of the butlers.

"Sir, I truly believe that this is strange, why would Agnes steal Serenity's text? She has no use for it -"

I lift my hand, preventing him from speaking further.

"I'll be carrying out an investigation for both her dress and her medical text. After the verdict, I'll know what to do next."

I made my final decision.