Chapter 21

Glenn

I held Serenity, struggling to control the quivering of my limbs, she was barely breathing, clutching onto me as I pressed my ripped shirt over her open wound.

"Stay with me, everything is going to be okay."

There's not much time, I needed to get her to an hospital fast. My chest pains were getting worse and I started to develop tunnel vision. Luigi treks slowly through the sand towards me.

"I need to get Serenity to an hospital, someone shot her out of the blue. The helicopter in the warehouse, we'll use that."

I carefully took her up in my arms, now bare - back since it was my shirt that I used to cover her injury.

Someone on this island is trying to kill her. This place was no longer safe for her, when I get my hands on whoever did this, they'll see a different side of me.

"The nearest hospital is miles away from the island, she won't make it."

He spoke too quickly, holding the back of his neck with both hands. Luigi didn't seem too concerned about the fact that Serenity was losing blood rapidly, he's the only one who knew how to fly the helicopter.

My voice came out raw with anger.

"Luigi, I am going to ask you one more time, take me to the helicopter now."

A sickening wave of suspension started welling up in my belly, smelling gunpowder on his clothes and he reaches inside the pocket of his jacket.

"Luigi -- it was you."

There was a horrid sensation of a million ants, crawling up my back. My father and Vincenzo were already outside, wondering what the commotion was about.

"I trusted you with my life!" I blast fire from my mouth onto his face and he got a swift shot to the leg.

He cries out in pain, bending at the knee and he gets another one to the shoulder. I saw Vangolio approaching me with his gun in defense.

"I can't believe he shot her, I saw him do it."

He said, pointing his weapon at Luigi but I stopped him before he could finish him off.

"Let him live."

Vangolio had a look of agony on his face, staring at his partner with disappointed.

"Boss, let's move, Serenity is getting unconscious. I'll explain everything to you on the helicopter." he urges me.

Luigi was face down against the sand, unmoving.

I didn't know Vangolio could fly an helicopter since I've never seen him do it.

My father instructed two armed men to take Luigi away and they did so very roughly.

Serenity was going into shock.

My pulse roars and the small hairs across my body stood on end. The color drains from her skin, leaving no trace of blood blow.

She's dying. God, please..

I can't lose her. I won't be able to survive, my future was getting dark and it's happening in seconds. I need her to live, she's the only one who can bear my offspring as I see fit.

Vangolio was making a call.

"Guilia! I need your help, you're still on the island right?"

He's talking to his sister but how will she help us?

"I should take her to the guest house on the east wing? Thank you sis, this means a lot."

He ends the call with a glimmer of hope in his eyes, the gentlest I've ever seen. Vangolio had a soft spot for Serenity, he's never like this to anyone I know.