54: The End

I saw someone squeezing her shoulders gently, trying to calm her down a bit. Seems like she felt numb, because she literally froze and that didn't appear as a good sign to me.

"Ilhan you need to let go of things, it's in the past anyway," I heard Mamaji faintly speaking to her. I wanted to quickly get outta there, but I saw Mamaji making signs with her eyes for me to come closer, so I decided to go there and say hi. No matter what will happen, nothing I can't tolerate from her. She can slap me I won't mind, she can do what ever I won't mind, as i've caused it upon myself. I was finally few feet away from her and I remembered it's been 11 years ever since I came this close to her. The whole place got awfully silent and it seems everyone's attention was on us.

I wanted to talk, I wanted to say something, but I didn't know what to say. Should I apologise? Should I call her name? what if she's even married? Should I just say a simple hi and leave?

"Hey, wait a second, i'm sorry Ilhan, but can I talk to you just for a second over there?" Mamaji said to both of us, but her last words were aimed at me, I bulged my eyes out, over the kinda vibe she got, she's so the confident type, her words emanates confidence. She moved further away from Ilhan as I followed after her.

"She's not married. But in case you are, remember the rules; four wives! I mean well, you don't look like you got four wives in my eyes though. Now you can go ahead talk to her," she finished and it made me smile.

"Thanks Mamaji."

"You are welcome Saif."

I walked back to where Ilhan was glued to, I sighed before saying, "hi Ilhan?!" Which came out more like a question.

She only gave me the are you serious look? And ignored me.

"I'm Saif. Nice meeting you!" I stated.

"From where?" That was the only thing she said.

"From Kano!" I honestly answered.

"Look Ilhan i'm so sorry for everything. I'm really sorry. Back then I was young and foolish but now I know better." I finally told her.

"You always say that, to the previous girls same thing you've said."

"But I was there at the hospital that day, I went there and things happened and I couldn't get in." I honestly explained.

"You were there?" She asked raising up a brow, and just then we heard some one saying, "ayiri yiri yiri," and everyone's attention turned to the entrance where the person was coming from. It was a woman holding a baby and walking as she hold her nose with one hand and the baby with the other.

"Aisha!" Ilhan exclaimed as she chuckled up a bit.

Aisha? Oh Aisha? That Aisha? How quickly time flies.

Ilhan slightly turned around and moved to hug her while I was still standing.

"Where is Khalifa and Ammar?" I heard Ilhan asked.

"Oh those kids?! I can't put up with them. I dropped them at their grandpa's. This parenting stuff ain't easy I can't kill myself. Sometimes the easiest way is to be a bad mom," she blabbered as Ilhan shook both her head and fist in a playful manner and laughed. Wow she still do that?! Maybe she hasn't changed much after all!

"Welcome Aisha!" Mamaji said moving on to hug her.

Just then we locked eyes with Aisha, and I could see the furrowed brows, and eyes emanating several emotions, then she yanked her gauze off me looking towards Ilhan, "ain't that...?" She started before trailing off, as if afraid she would voice out my name and brought back painful memories to her friend if it turned out it wasn't me! I can still see she cares so much for her friend. I'll like to know what it takes to be so loyal and care about someone like that. Or maybe it comes natural for some.

"Yeah it's Saif," Mamaji said with a smile. Then she dragged Ilhan's hands towards me again. And Aisha smiled at me as I returned same gesture.

"Look Ilhan sometimes we just have to forgive and let go. Everyone makes mistakes, especially at a young age. Look at me I don't treat my husband like I used to a year ago any longer. We need to understand no one is perfect and that's the human nature." Mamaji stated, while Nana was standing beside her by now, she still haven't said a word.

At this point I knew Mamaji have done it all for me and it's high time I do something too.

I knew we don't do it this way over here, and maybe the tiny navy blue pack was supposed to remain a gift and nothing else, but I didn't care and just wanna use it for a different purpose now.

I reached out for it from my pocket and went on one knee before opening it exposing the ring inside as series of gasps escaped from the crowd.

"Please Ilhan will you consider me?"

Everyone laughed thinking I made a mistake, but to Ilhan she knew what I mean by that, she knew that was me asking her to reconsider me.

"Will you Marry me?" I asked again, "please?" I added.

All these while she didn't even try to move. She seemed to be in deep thought.

"But what about my wallah? What about the wallah I said?" She finally exclaimed, biting her lip.

"Ilhannnnnnn thesame wallah you did i once got mad and did it on Harith too, and now look in few minutes I'm gonna be his wife. It's about how much you love something and how genuinely something means to you. In fact I've even done it twice. I've once said 'wallah I won't marry anyone who's 10 years older than me'. And Subhanallah look how Allah does His things. Harith is 40 and I am only 17 and i'm gonna marry him. I was so happy when Allah reminded me i've once made a vow like that. So I just fasted thrice, gave out sadaqah, asked for Allah's forgiveness and that's it. It's really about how bad you want some thing at times."

I looked at Mamaji with proud eyes. Mashaa Allah she'd grown up in to an intelligent girl and so good with words. Mashaa Allah.

"What will I do though? Now you'll be taking my words for granted. I'll have to fast thrice though," Ilhan finally said directing her words towards me and sending daggers my way which I found funny. Everyone got so happy.

My mouth widened in happiness because I never saw it coming. "I'm really sorry Ilhan." I apologized holding a grin and for the first time in like forever she smiled at me.

"Okay I ship this couple!" Nana and Aisha chorused.

"May Allah bless your marriage Mamaji." I told mamaji as I was still kneeling in front of Ilhan. Mamaji nodded and smiled at me, before whispering "you too." And I smiled at that.

Then Ilhan ushered with her hands for me to get up from my kneeling position and only then did I. I didn't mind kneeling in front of her forever.

"I missed you so bad," I finally whispered down to her ear as she chuckled up.

The end! Alhamdulillah.

Remain an Epilogue!

Drafted March 31 2021
Published Thursday 9th September, 2021.