22

To my surprise, instead of moving away I saw them gesturing to the other securities that stood from afar. They ended up turning 20 in number. They started joining hands and giving out space between their legs, till they got the gate out of view from me.

My brows furrowed as my nose kept blaring up, I couldn't believe the sight in front of me!

"We are sorry sir! You can run in to us and we don't mind dying like that!"

I had to fought the urge of hitting my head on the steering wheel. I couldn't believe they were following the orders of a normal specie like them to extent of worth dying for. But since that's how they want it, I got no choice either! Imma run over them! They said it themselves they don't mind dying like that! I made my car engine roared, I reversed the car with full speed before stopping and pressing on the pedal so hard about to run the car over them as I closed away my eyes.

I was only steps away from them when I pressed on the brake so hard. I looked at their faces, they still weren't budging, but some of them got their Adam's apples bobbing up and down by now.

I let out a sigh before grabbing out my phone, from my front pocket, as I began dialling dad's number.

It rang once, twice and thrice he still didn't pick up. But I wasn't stopping till he did, even if that means hundred missed calls. Finally he picked it up on the fourth ring.

"The jet out there waiting for you!" He voiced out.

"But I can't leave tonight!"

"And that's how you repay me! What if I haven't said yes to you attending that wedding? And remember they will be next time."

"I'm sorry!" That was the only thing I could voice out. By now my eyes were getting moisty, I looked towards the securities infront of me and saw they still got their hands joined up.

I don't like it one bit how these securities treat me like shit, because it's equally that! And he gave them the power to do so.

I unlowered the window glass of my car and adjusted the ac, so that no one will hear what i'll have to say.

"You know at times it's so difficult for me too. It's so difficult living here that I feel like running away! There's just so much expectations! And your boys don't treat me like I deserve!" I called out angrily.

I know i'm making a great mistake by telling my dad what I just said. But it had gotten too much. I haven't been in Nigeria in like 5 years! Just when I finally did to be treated this way!

Plus what i'm studying ain't even first degree for my dad to be worried about studying like this! For God sake we are talking about a PhD here! Even though most of my age mates have just graduated from uni, finishing their first degree, but due to the nature of my studying, and how my dad got all serious about it, I ended up studying so fast!

I waited forever to hear my dad's reply, but none came.

"I'm fighting all the urge I could gather to not cry in front of them right now. How can a child be treated like a prisoner in his father's house? I'm not questioning your judgement, but i'm a normal human too, I got needs and wants, and I want to be free like any other child out there, I have feelings dad. A girl I like just got in an accident, she'd lost so much blood, I don't even know what could be her situation right now, but look at me here not being able to go out of this house for almost half an hour!"

Then I waited forever before I heard him let out a sigh,

"Saif you're making me regret so many things right now. I can't believe I gave you enough privilege to be talking back at me. No, to be scolding me as if I were your child! Imagine you're talking to me about a girl. I spare my busy schedule to pick up this call, but look at the nonsense I had to listen to. Go get on the PJ right now!" He roared.

I found my hands wiping away the beads of sweat forming on my forehead. He sounded so angry!

"Please dad! You're my father, if I don't ask something from you, where would I go looking for it?"

I only kept wishing for one thing in my mind, that he doesn't end up rejecting this call.

"I have to go. Pleaseeeee I beg of you, she's in so much pain!"

I had no idea when I started crying. I could have gone out, but that would only be by running over those innocent souls obeying orders. And what will I get from wounding poor souls, or worst being the cause of their death? I can't afford to live with such burden on my head.

Due to that I could only leave this house only if Dad said so. Only if he talked to them to let me go. But if he was being adamant like that, only one thing would make him budge!

"If you allow me to go I promise I'll stop smoking! I'll never ever do it again Inshaa Allah!" I finally said as more tears came rushing down my face. Because I know I truly meant what I just said, in order to go out there and see Ilhan I would do anything. I'd do anything to see her now! Even though I'm sure what I just said got tons of consequences attached!

Then I heard him gasp, "say wallah!"

"Wallah!" I assured.

"Alhamdulillah."

I heard him voiced out. "But...Saif... You can go, but just know you've been engaged long since!"

It took me a while before dicipating the information he just let out, this is the first time i'm actually hearing of it. I've been dating and having fun all my life, why no one never told me i was engaged?! And to who? Ya Allah! What century child am I? Who am I even?

I lowered down the window glass and gestured to one of the securities to come closer as I handed him my phone for dad to speak to them before going back to my overthinking!

I know be it engaged or not, Ilhan and I can't ever happen — she doesn't wants me, and i'm quite okay with that, just that if I don't have her I know I won't ever date any other girl anymore!

Published on sun, 8th August 2021