Chapter 17

Glenn

After a slight hesitation, I squeezed myself onto the only vacant seat at a bar–a stool with a torn leather seat, smoke permeated the room, forcing me to adopt a squint as I kept the entrance in view.

There were hundreds of conversations told in loud voices, each of them competing with the rock music dominating the atmosphere.

TVs blared overhead and truckers were slouched to either side of me. The collection of empty shot glasses and beer mugs in front of them suggested that they were heavy drinkers, the vibe was lively, bold, and energetic.

There were pole dancers, riling up the crowd while a bunch of guys whistle. A pool table was occupied by another bunch, laughing and bumping into each other.

I set my hand over the worn countertop and tried to flag down a bartender, accidentally dragging my arm through a spill of beer.

"Damn it!"

Serenity's dad and I decided to have a men's night out but he hasn't arrived here as yet. That day when she left, I must have called a thousand times without any response.

I've failed so many times, trying to get her address from Angie. I was a total wreck, not eating, absent from work, and became a drunkard.

Until Vangolio along with Luigi delivered her address to me. I could not believe they managed to get the information out of her, she was one tough cookie.

"That's what family do for each other."

These were the words Vangolio told me. I'm thankful for them and their immovable loyalty.

A female bartender came to take my order, she was attired in full leather.

"What can I get you hot shot?" she asks, polishing a glass. She chews painfully loud on the gum in her mouth so much that It was unbearable.

She notices my discomfort and added some breaks to her teeth.

"I'll have a Moscow mule." she brushes her fingers seductively over my knuckles.

Her lashes flutter at me, batting them invitingly, she had hidden intentions but I had no interest in whatever she was scheming.

"Coming right up mate."

She squeezed lime juice into a copper mug, all the way while watching me from the corner of her eyes. I muttered something in Italian under my breath and she inclined her body forward.

Giving me a full view of her huge rack, her cleavage was practically hanging out.

"I have always wanted to travel to Italy," she tries to build an unnecessary rapport.

"Make my drink and stop wasting time, other people are waiting," I growl through my teeth

She reversed so fast, that the incoming male bartender collided with her back and he spilled the drink in his hand.

"Bloody ell Eloiza!" he explodes, flushing with anger, "Pay attention."

She apologized quickly.

With nimble fingers, she adds two to three ice cubes into the vessel, she then pours in vodka and filled it with cold ginger beer. My lips tilt in an appreciative half-smile as she stirs the drink and served it to me.

"Thank you." I gave her a thousand-dollar tip.

She chokes on air, trying to talk but only gasps, fighting for speech but only babbles incoherently. I took a sip of my drink and the icy liquor fizzled down my throat, it was refreshing.