Chapter 15

Serenity

I've spent most of these passing days in my room, unable to sleep properly. A daunting case of insomnia it seems, I'd stare at the ceiling for hours.

Why has it gotten so difficult to rest?

I never wanted to leave America and especially, departing from Glenn. He was so heartbroken and that was the first time I'd heard him cry.

My eyes watered from the memory of that parting moment. I wish that I had hugged him one last time but he wouldn't have let me go. That day he declared to cook all my meals, every single dish came from his hand to me.

I snivel, rubbing my swollen eyes with the back of my hand. I thought that he was joking but he didn't miss a day without showering me with his delicious home-cooked meals and unfailing attention, which touched a special place in my heart.

He even washed my hair, gave me massages, tuck me into bed, and watch my lazy movements until I fall to sleep. Those are simple acts of benevolence yet so intimate in their way. No one has ever done anything like that for me.

I've always wanted him to kiss me but seeing that he made no advancement towards it, was clear that he intend to hone a friendly relationship.

But whenever he's close to me, I experience very deep feelings of love, companionship, and safety. Oh, father on high, I think I'm falling for a man that I will never see again, this kind always ends up as unrequited. I never let myself see my fear since I've been running from affliction for so long until he made me face the darkness of it.

I never did it alone, he was with me every step of the way. I bury my face into a solid plain burgundy t-shirt, inhaling the fading scent there. It was the gym shirt that he had hung over the couch in his room before he showered. I watched him do it and then waited for the right moment to act.

Does that make me weird? There were many others that I could have taken but instead, I took the one that he sweats in. I loved his aroma but his natural essence more than anything. It was so masculine, pleasant, and agreeable to my senses.

When the tears came, they were hot and endless. I abducted this t-shirt before leaving, hoping to take just a tiny part of him with me but the action was merely fleeting. This could not be compared to his actual presence however, it will have to suffice.

I'll wallow more in misery once the smell disappears completely.

My mother got sick for a few days after telling her everything that was concocted. She took the news harder than I'd expected, only chamomile tea helped her to regain some strength. They placed one solid foot forward, deciding not to allow me to return to the United States.

I completely understand that they cared about me and worry as most parents do for their children but they should understand that I'm not a child anymore and I'm capable of making my own decisions. I told them about Glenn and how he's helped me, that he's a dear friend.

Mother was delighted about the wondrous things that he had done, she was somewhat disappointed, seeing me give up on my dreams so easily. I've gotten weary of the troubles of this life because these forces keep fighting against me.

It's never easy but I'm still holding on, though I got rejected from my first-choice college. I've always had a passion to care for animals, they deserve as much kindness as much as we do.

I spent most of my time here, volunteering at animal shelters and even at nursing homes. The elderly must be cared for as well, some of them are very wise. They taught me a lot about life and their former experiences.

The forest was a place of refuge, where my thoughts were set at peace. The crisp fresh air and the greenery born from the plants and shrubs, come together in their ballet dance. I lift my eyes and saw that the trees stood tall as protectors of the exigent grounds. A sweet surrendering scent of the moist morning dew cascades all around me.