Chapter 10

Serenity

To my surprise he didn't bring me to his bed but instead, he lays me down on a regally decorated sofa. The designs to my knowledge were taken from the Victorian era, this piece of furniture is worth a fortune.

I shift my attention from it to the insanely attractive man hovering over me, the weight of his body crushing me comfortably. I've not forgotten that he took my first kiss and being so close to him, brings back the memories.

That was only once and the way he's been acting, that might be the last.

The temptation of wanting to touch him was eating away at my insides but I must fight the urge. He was disarmingly good-looking so I'm very sure that he can get any woman he desires.

I'm not one of them and that didn't bother me at all. If he doesn't want anything to do with me romantically then why did he kiss me? It's not fair, to have someone who isn't interested in you, to take something so special. He must think I'm easy to get, that will not happen. I won't be swooned by him.

"You haven't been eating properly, why is that?" He questions, catching me off guard. His voice does weird things to my stomach...

He's done nothing but avoids me ever since I came here and for some reason, that made me feel unsettled. I lost my appetite because of it. "My appetite went into hiding."

He eased himself off me, "My chef is one of the best in New York so I'm a bit surprised that you find it hard to eat anything."

Frustration plastered all over his face, why is he even getting this worked up? I find myself staring at his beautiful features, carved by the very fingers of God, straight down to his powerful masculine body. I watch the muscles strain ardently under the fabric of his shirt as he crosses his arms.

He turned his head to look me deep in the eyes. The way he gazed at me, made my heart race, he takes my tiny hands into larger ones, I gasp, the light touch sending hot electricity through my bones.

A question was in his eyes, and a smile hovered over his lips. His thumb drew slow circles on my hip and I shivered, between my thighs got damp and sticky, making me rub my legs to cool the fire building there. His pupils flared and his jaw tightened.

He shifted away from me and I missed having his warmth so quickly, "I'll prepare something for you to eat."

The cold was now whisking across my flesh, giving me a grim reminder of how distant he was, he was close yet I couldn't reach him. "You don't have to do that." 

"If anything, I'll make all your meals," he added again.

The corner of his mouth quivered and the pit of my belly twisted in a tight knot. He can't possibly cook all my meals for me, can he? I gave him a lopsided grin in exchange but I'm still not agreeing to that. I can take care of myself, not financially wise at the moment but I can still manage.

His eyes fluttered shut as if he was reminiscing, "You have no idea how much I worry about you. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of you, he opened them. "Even at work."

My whole face heats up and I couldn't respond to his kind endearment. I'm hoping to God that my face isn't red but my ears were very warm.

"I won't let you starve under my roof. I might not be able to cook for you every day but I'll make sure you eat." He rubs a long finger over his rough stubble. That action was so simple yet it turns me on to the point of wanting to pounce on him.

Get a grip! "Well, I will not argue."

He lowered himself so that we were face to face. My body tensed, every nerve was screaming for him to touch me.

I could smell the richness of his cologne, full of earthy fragrances, sophisticated and clean. The type that lingers for hours even after his presence departs. Inhaling deeply, the seductive hints of mandarin and oak moss teased my nostrils.

A plate of iron laid down on my nerves, I sit there in the air as if flying rapidly without moving. His luscious obsidian hair curls untidily over his forehead as he looks at me through lidded eyes. I saw the lust in them me. They glowed plainly in the storm of his eyes, a cold blizzard, turning into a desert.

My lips parted slightly. There's no way for me to hide how much I wanted him when he's close to me, all rational thinking gets thrown out the window.

I will rebuild our city with my tongue and suck this world's ashes off his fingers. I refuse to let this hell be the only thing that burns us. I wanted to be ruined by this man, let him break me, shatter me and turn my moans into gunshots, let him be my sublime tragedy.

He grazed his fingers against my skin like a soldier crossing a landmine and I shuddered. I wanted him to throw his kisses like grenades into the trenches of my mouth and carve bullet holes onto my chest and remind me of where it hurts because it will hurt, painfully sweet.

He speaks first, his warm breath fanning my lips, "Let me guess, you're fighting against your feelings."

My mouth snapped shut and I glowered at him, the tips of my ears sizzled like a hot coal in a furnace, "Feelings?"

"Yes, so tell, do you like me?"

He's so straightforward. I crossed my arms with a smug expression on my face despite the strong whipping of my heartbeat.

"I don't." I retort, rolling my eyes.

He stared at me for a long moment and smiled at my answer. "Good, because I intend for it to stay that way. I'll whip you up something delicious before bed and go back to my studies."

He waited for me to get up from the sofa. I thought he'd be more affected but instead, he looks more relieved. I wanted to ask why he kept avoiding me but it didn't matter anymore. He intends to keep things friendly, this shouldn't be bothering me.

I need to get my shit together. He swings open the door and sweeps his hand with a gallant gesture. I gingerly exited his room, my knees, exuding an uncontrollable tremor.

A smirk played on my lips as I tried to push aside the hurt that was now taking root inside my chest. Let's see how you react to this.

"I like Stravos."

Every muscle in his body clenched with a spring of rippling spasms. He must be exploding with anger now, two can play at this game. In less than a second, my body was pinned against the wall.

His dominant strength overpowered mine and I shrunk back. I was now trapped between the cool wall and his hard body, the icy surface, made me shiver.

My arms were set strictly above my head and I bravely wrap my legs around his waist but he easily de- tangles them. The heat radiating from his body nearly singes the fabric of my gown and he grabs my hair, pulling it back to expose my throat.

He kisses along the area eagerly, insistently, latching his smearing lips onto my raging pulse. I moan deeply from intense pleasure, arching my back. The feeling of being restrained was driving me crazy, panting hoarsely, I wanted to scream. He grinds his hips into me and I cried his name.

He drew my bottom lip between his teeth and literal stars flashed behind my closed eyelids. He fondled my breasts in his hand, pinching the now erected bud of my aching nipple.

He pulled away so fast, I didn't know what hit me but when I opened my eyes, he was leaving.

"Glenn!"

He threw me a glance over his shoulder, my body froze up before I could go toward him. There was not a trace of anger in his eyes but sadness, jealousy perhaps? "Don't mention his name in my presence. You don't like me so I won't touch you again."

He turned his face away and with that, he left. I fumed with a stomp of my feet. "Go!"

He never had a problem earlier. I fell to my knees, tears pouring out my eyes onto the glassy tiles. He's so complicated, giving me mixed signals, isn't helping at all. I don't know how he feels about me. I don't care, hope he doesn't touch me again.

Keeping a friendly relationship would be better for both of us, at least I won't have to be worried about having my heart broken.