The Girl in Highlights

Chapter 4 | The Girl in Highlights

"What do you want?" I say as Stiles drags me to the end of the parking lot.

"Look. I just wanted to apologize—"

"No. I don't want it from you. I want an apology from your girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend! And it's not that easy. She could be stubborn at times." I give him a long stare, "Okay! All the time!" There's a satisfying answer, because it's true. I know I only met the girl, but I could already tell from her attitude. I just want you to know that I'm here to be your friend. That you can—"

"I don't need any friends. Especially people like you who a only cares about people in their 'social radar.'"

"Okay, I realize that we don't get along, but if you just give me a chance–"

"I'm tired of giving second chances."

"Lydia. What happened to you? Why don't you trust anyone."

"And why should I tell you?"

"Because I'm your friend."

"Who says I'm your friend?"

He gives out a frustrating sigh. "Lydia. Okay, we're not friends. But can we just give it a try?" Before I could say anything, he raised his fingers, giving me a signal to stop. "Look, I'm hosting a Back to School Party this Friday, and I want you to be there."

"Thanks for the offer but,"

"It wasn't an offer. You have to go. You're going whether or not you want to."

-

Friday came by quickly and Stiles has been bugging me non-stop, giving me reasons why I should go. I give him my normal answer, which was no. When school was over, I went straight to my house, then taking a nice, cold shower. As I finish washing myself and change into my comfy pajama (which was wearing a comfy loose shirt with some pajama shorts that hugged my waist perfectly), I lay on my plain white bed. My phone starts to ring from an unknown number. I usually ignore it because who answers phone calls that we don't know who it is? For all we know, it could be a stalker! But, this phone call was calling me, every minute. I get too annoyed by the ringing that I finally answer it.

"What!?"

"Nice to hear that wonderful voice of yours, love."

"Who is this?"

"You don't recognize my voice? It's Stiles!"

"Great! I'm hanging up now."

"Wait, aren't you wondering how I got your number!"

He does have a point. I really want to find out how he got my number, but if this phone call keeps going, it would just lead back to him complaining about me not being at the party.

"Nope. I already knew you were a stalker. I'll just look for your explanation tomorrow—"

I was midway into my sentence when I mom called me downstairs. "Lydia! Get down here! I need your help!"

"Stiles. Gotta go."

Before he could say anything, I quickly hang up the phone and run downstairs.

"Mom! Are you okay?"

"Surprise!" Kira jumped out behind the kitchen table while holding some luggage. "You're favorite person has arrived!"