Hate (forty-two)

Marcellus glared at the Goddess, slouching further in his throne as his nose twitched in annoyance.

"Look at her." Thahgyn said.

"I can't." He whispered.

"You have to. Bring the scene forward, Devil. I don't have the power to in your realm."

Within moments, almost like a tv screen, a scene appeared before them. It was of Arwyn, still crying but no longer in the hallway. She was in her bed, accompanied by King Octavius with Amiah sitting on the edge. It must have a been day or two since he left that world.

"Look at what you've done. You've ruined her."

He merely glanced at the scene before closing his eyes and turning his head away. He could feel the anguish radiating from her, even through the image. It was like torture for him. And he hated it. He hated that he did this to her. He hated himself.

"I hate him." The small voice of Arwyn said.

The Devil looked back at the scene. Pain, guilt, sadness, anger, everything negative that surged within him came rushing forward as he watched the scene unfold.

"You don't mean that." Amiah said softly. "No matter how much you tell yourself, you could never hate the man you love."

"I mean it. I never want to see him again."

He collapsed the image within mere seconds of those words leaving Arwyn's mouth. A frown evident on his beautiful face as he closed his eyes, resting his head in his hands.

"You can still fix this." Thahgyn said softly, rising from her chair and placing a hand on Marcellus' knee. "Return to that realm and make things right. For her. For my own realm." She paused, giving him a sympathetic look. "For yourself."

"You said so yourself. I'm the bad guy. I ruined her. There's no way I can fix that."

"I was angry, Marcellus. I think you understand, the most out of everyone, that we say dumb things when we're angry." She retracted her hand, standing up straight.

"We've known each other for millions of years, Devil. I've seen you do some horrible shit. But this... I think you can fix this. If anyone can, it's you. Try, at least. She loves you. You, still very unbelievably, love her as well. You'll find a way." She said softly.

He stood up as well, the chair Thahgyn had been sitting on vanishing from sight.

"I don't know what to say to her."

"Then don't say anything. Use actions. Show her. And when it comes to talking, you'll know the right things to say. You're not as dumb as you lead people to believe, Devil." The Goddess said with a small, heartfelt laugh.

"Thank you, Thahgyn. You always say the right things." He said with a small smile.

"That's what I'm here for. Now, I have a realm to try and... calm down." She said with a grim look as she walked toward the large marble doors.

"Show her you love her. Show her you're sorry. Just do something. I can't keep my realm under control for much longer if she has anything to do with it." The Goddess said before she walked out the doors. Her presence in his realm disappearing.

Do something.

He sat back down, staring at the doors. How would he be able to fix this? He revisited all of the memories he had with her. The pain he felt in his heart truly did disturb him. He honestly thought his heart was long gone. But perhaps, she brought it back to life.

He had yet to regain the strength needed to stay longer than a week in another realm. He couldn't sleep when he was in his realm. Never had been able to sleep in the miserable atmosphere. Maybe because he didn't really need to. All he could do was interview souls to pass by the time.

Most of the souls were sent off to the stream. But he had made a few of them into demons. Some worthy, lucky souls. Demons were free to roam his realm as they pleased. And once in a blue moon, were permitted to travel to other realms. As bad as it sounds, having demons just walking around other realms, it made them less chaotic. And somewhat eased his own conscience.