I wrapped my arms around his body and laid my head on his shoulder to take his words in. He was right. A powerful woman. I just needed to put that confidence in myself so I'm actually able to do my job.

Manhattan, New York
August 10th
Beyoncé G. Knowles:

"I saw you," Megan slid down the door, watching me.

Those were the first words she'd said to me since Mrs. Maraj's lecture. I knew she wanted to say something when we stepped out, but she was silent. Finally, she was opening that big ass mouth of hers.

"You saw me what?"

"I saw how you were looking at Mrs. Maraj the entire time she was talking. Even after she embarrassed your ass."

"I was looking at her the same way everybody else was looking at her, including you. She's very easy on the eyes. Is that why you didn't say anything to me?"

"Girl yeah, you got your mind on other things."

"Actually," I stopped her train of thought right at the station. "I got my mind on our first assignment."

I knew she hadn't done it or didn't even know that there was already an assignment. Mrs. Maraj didn't hesitate to send the assignment to our school e-mails. Luckily, the assignment wasn't something time consuming and hard like an essay. She just wanted to know our favorite movie and the meaning behind it.

Simple, but it wrecked your brain. I'm sure by the end of this semester, we would be looking at our favorite films in a light we didn't even want.

"Oh shit we got an assignment?" She hopped up.

Just like I thought.

"Yeah, I'm finished with mine though," I pressed submit.

"What is it?"

We sat there on the floor of our dorm room, both starting and finishing her assignment. Like most things, Megan was unsure, and like most times, I was there to pick her up.

Megan and I couldn't be more different from one another, but in my eyes that's the reason we were so connected. I felt like she needed me in a way, and I needed her too. I needed that childlike fire in my life, and she needed that mother figure in hers. I didn't mind being that for her.

When we finished, she was typing quickly on her phone. She had a huge smile on her face. I knew she had met someone already. That's just how Megan was. She met and connected with people everywhere she went.

"Who you texting over there?" I asked.

"I was just about to tell you. I met this guy, his name's Emilio—"

"Where you meet somebody named Emilio at?"

"He's Peruvian, shut up. I was walking to a class and I thought he was following me so I turned around and cursed his ass out. Turns out, we had the same class, and we take the same route because he's dormed in our hall—"

"I bet you felt stupid."

"Beyoncé, let me finish."