29. FINAL PRACTICES

LIKE ANY OTHER DAY, HANNA MADE HER WAY TO THE STUDIO. Except today was more special than any other day. It almost seemed surreal that two days from today, both of them would be competing in one of the biggest competitions in San Francisco. After weeks of practicing, the competition that they had both been so eager for had finally arrived.

Hanna couldn't believe it at first. She couldn't imagine that one day she'd return to dancing and doing what she had loved most. The last thing Hanna expected was to dance on such a massive stage like the one in the Golden Gate Park.

Hanna did feel slightly worried, though. Her stomach continued to tumble as she thought of this Sunday. It seemed too close all of a sudden. Almost as if tomorrow happened to be Sunday rather than Saturday. Hanna began to worry if she was really ready enough. She began to worry if she would dare to make a mistake at all.

Hanna held back her sigh, trying to keep her thoughts clear as she made her way through the streets. It buzzed with life just as any other day, brimming with excitement and joy. The city radiated with a bright, sunshine smile.

However, at the same time, the city seemed still and unmoving. Usually, the city would always move, one way or another. Either the cars would drift through the streets, or dozens of people would make their way dashing to get to places in time. But, today, the city seemed quieter. It didn't seem like there were many cars or people.

It seemed lonely.

Hanna shook her head, walking through the streets, keeping her head raised high. She didn't want to let thoughts like this take her over on her short walk to the dance studio, even though the walk to the studio appeared to be longer than usual.

For some reason, no matter how long Hanna had continued to stroll, it seemed like she never made it to the dance studio. It seemed like there was always more to go. The dance studio wasn't that far, though, no more than a fifteen-minute walk at most.

Maybe it was because Hanna didn't have much to think about for once?

Her mind didn't bustle with as many thoughts as it usually did. Her thoughts didn't sing their usual bitter song, chirping with a sinister grin.

Hanna smiled to herself, happy that her thoughts had rested for the first time in a while.

She didn't mind being bored if she could enjoy the walk-in peace with no taunting voice to control her. It was more than worthwhile if she could enjoy true peace with herself. Hanna knew her thoughts would return in a bit, but now she wanted to enjoy her time without them. She hoped to keep this tranquility for longer.

Before long, Hanna arrived in front of the dance studio. It became like a second home for now. She reckoned she spent more time in the studio than in her own apartment. She didn't mind it, though. Hanna would spend the rest of her life in the studio if she could. She loved everything about it, from the sleek design to the people that the studio introduced her to.

Hanna grabbed the door handle, pulling the door open to hear the cheery jingle resonate within the studio. Her eyes fell upon the main entrance of the studio, looking for a face she greeted every day.

"Roy!" Hanna's grin widened as she saw the face she had been looking for.

His silver hair seemed to have been touched up today. The black roots that had once begun to seep into his silver hair had been repainted.

Roy looked up from the table he sat at to meet Hanna's beaming grin. He sported a chuckle as he noticed her coming towards him. He had become accustomed to her greetings every afternoon by now.

"Hanna!" Roy's lips curved upwards once she had neared him, "Derrick's in the same room as always."

Hanna bobbed her head, knowing that Derrick was already there. Before Roy mentioned it, she happened to know. Derrick had always shown up almost half an hour before the time they had decided on, ever since they had begun practicing.