11. RAINY DAYS

HANNA KNEW IT WOULD RAIN LONG BEFORE SHE LEFT. She noticed the cloudy weather from right out her window, seeing the dark gray cotton. Her chocolate orbs swirled as she saw the absence of the sun, shielded by the clouds. The gloomy weather bothered her, but she pushed her thoughts away as she got herself ready.

Hanna didn't wear anything out of the unordinary, sticking with an outfit she wore often. She rarely wore anything fancy, the only exception being the days she went to the bar. Hanna hated change.

She glanced at her reflection in the mirror, picking up her regular small black handbag before heading out of her apartment. It didn't take her much time to leave her apartment once she woke up. She didn't waste any time worrying about anything, nothing being of too much importance to her.

Hanna strolled through the streets of San Francisco, the weekend silence creeping in. Not a sound echoed from the streets beside the occasional car passing through, and each time it happened, she happened to be just as shocked as always, not used to the silence.

Hanna had the destination in mind as she walked through the streets, going to a lake she didn't visit much. Despite having lived here for years, she didn't get a chance to visit one of the most popular lakes, almost avoiding it. Hanna knew it would take her some time to make it there, but she had spare time to waste. She didn't mind walking the extra distance to meet Jackson.

As Hanna made it to the lake she had intended to go to, she looked around the area, noticing the large amounts of benches and picnic tables. Picnic tables rested along the grass, with benches scattered like seashells on a beach every few feet. At first glance, it seemed like the perfect place to take a deep breath and relax.

Hanna's eyes fell upon one of the benches by the lake as she made her way around the area. She let a smile cross over her lips, knowing it was the very person she had been waiting for.

Hanna couldn't help but chuckle at his appearance.

Jackson sat under the bench, holding another book in his hand. His brown hair laid curlier today, tapering just above his eyes as it always did. Hanna watched as he flipped page after page, pushing up his glasses every so often. As he read the book in his hands, he fell out of reality, joining the imaginary world within his books.

He didn't notice Hanna making her way to the bench and joining him. She waited a few seconds—until he finished reading the page before saying anything.

"Jackson?" Hanna's eyes fell upon the brown-haired man sitting on the bench, "You're early."

His eyes snapped towards the girl next to him at once, returning to reality. Just as Hanna, his eyes turned into mini-moons, and a smile crept up his lips.

"No, Hanna." He pushed back his spectacles again, "I think you're late."

Hanna tilted her head, a bit dazed. She had sworn she had arrived on time, considering she didn't rush this morning. Hanna's grin tightened, flipping her wrist over to stare at the time displayed over her tiny wristwatch. Unlike Jackson's wristwatch, hers was digital. It read the time out for her.

As Hanna read the time, the smile over her lips faded.

"Oh."

Jackson chuckled at Hanna's bewilderment, creasing the corner on the page he had just read. He closed the book, looking towards her.

Hanna's eyes scanned over the title of the book, "I've been waiting to read that one."

"It's a good read." Jackson paused, "I'm not done, but it's really good so far."

Hanna nodded as Jackson placed the book in his backpack. Her gaze shifted towards the body of water before her, staring at its beauty. She wondered how she hadn't visited it before.