28. MEMORIES

HANNA HAD STAYED WITH DERRICK ALL OF YESTERDAY. She comforted him for as long as he wanted, staying by his side until the daylight skies turned black. She didn't mind spending time with him even if she was tired, ready to do anything to make sure Derrick would smile again.

Hanna didn't mind carrying a few extra weights if he didn't have to carry them.

She didn't sleep much last night, getting home quite late in the night. They didn't practice at all yesterday, only sharing their stories and listening to each other. Hanna didn't care that they didn't practice, either. She could comfort Derrick instead, listening to him expose everything he had buried.

She gave him space to say what he wanted to feel free. They both could share whatever they wanted when they were with each other. Nobody would judge them. They could be free.

Hanna was overjoyed to finally do more for Derrick. She had never done anything for him, constantly burdening him almost. He had always listened to her, making her feel important that Hanna had always thought she never deserved to have a friend like him. But now Hanna had given him a listening ear. Finally, she was able to be the same person he was for her.

Hanna had decided to take the day off today, taking some time for herself. Even though she knew she needed the day off, Hanna couldn't help but be guilty. Recently, she had been taking a lot of days off. It was simply like her work didn't exist anymore. Hanna started to value taking time for herself rather than overworking herself. She began to enjoy taking care of herself.

Hanna spent most of the morning doing chores in her apartment. Even though there was hardly any space in her apartment, she needed to do quite a lot of work. Hanna had to do at least the basic things of washing the dishes and throwing out the trash, even if she chose not to clean her apartment and tidy it up.

Hanna had been cleaning up her tiny apartment, reorganizing things when the doorbell rang for the first time in a while. The jittery cherry jingle echoed throughout her small apartment, ricocheting within her four walls.

Hanna hadn't expected anyone today. She didn't think anyone would show up to see her, but someone had rung her doorbell. It didn't make sense for Hanna.

Why would anyone want to see her? She wasn't necessarily the most important person for anyone.

Hanna sighed, looking towards the door. She had to open the door anyway. She couldn't keep her guest waiting.

Hanna set the vase in her hand down on the table, clapping away the dust on her clothes. She grabbed a hair tie from her wrist, slipping her hair into a tiny ponytail before making her way to the sturdy door just a couple feet away from her.

Hanna stared at the door before her for a bit, unsure whether to open it or not. She wasn't expecting anyone today, but someone had still shown up to meet her. Hanna pressed her lips together, a slight bit of fear inching towards her. Hanna's stomach turned as she rocked back and forth, shifting weight between her feet.

Maybe it was Derrick at her doorstep?

Hanna tried to shrug away her thoughts, grabbing the door handle. She didn't bother looking in the peephole for some reason. Instead, Hanna only pulled the door right open, meeting face to face with someone she knew well.

She blinked twice, staring at the face by her door.

"Jackson?"

Hanna hadn't seen him in a while. She had been wondering if he had been doing fine. Hanna didn't mind that it was him at her doorstep. Jackson always came whenever he felt like it. He was unpredictable, showing up at her doorstep whenever he liked.