ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝟜𝟙

♛    ♛    ♛

♛    ♛    ♛

Vincent shut his laptop and thought to himself for a long moment. That bone in his left jaw was poking as he bit down on his teeth in frustration. He didn't understand why any of this was necessary, and he sure as hell couldn't grasp how the new man in the room made it as far as he did.

"Why are you here?" he asked Leon.

Those gray eyes finally averted from me to stare the mayor down. It always surprised me when he spoke. He didn't seem like the type to chat. "To work for you, sir," the man answered, remaining stiff in posture.

"As I was informed," Vincent said in annoyance, despising his obvious-sarcastic answer. "I meant why would Princeton even care so much about being mayor? He's doing well on his own."

I lowered my eyes. I knew the truth, but Vincent was kept in the dark pit of it all. I didn't want him to worry for me any more than he already has. All I could do was trust the Rosé family to put an end to it, and hopefully they would follow through.

• • •

After kissing Vincent goodbye, I made my way back to the elevator.

Tauntay was going to follow, but I stopped him when I realized Leon was getting close behind. "I'll take it from here, Tay. Thanks," I said and slid my purse from his arm.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

My lips curled inwards and pressed together in hesitance. Leon was casually standing against a wall, waiting for Tauntay to leave as he prompted me with his dangerous stormy eyes to quicken the pace.

"Yes."

Tauntay wasn't having it. The more he worked around these psychos, the more he could pinpoint a lie. "Is it him?" he asked.

I sighed.

Despite all his ill will and dislike towards people, he was undeniably pleasurable to the eye. His suits were always tightly fitted so I couldn't escape his chiseled chest or the definition of his biceps, and those eyes of his were so dark that every time a hint of light met them, his irises would sparkle.

And of course, his hair. It was cut lowly and even, and his perfectly angeled jaw and soft reddish lips were surrounded with a dark goatee. He looked so much more manly than just a year ago.

I thought to threaten him with compliments so his stubborn ass would leave his place. It was one of his many weakness. Any kindness shut him down just about. "I'll kiss you."

"Nevermind," he said quickly and backed away. "If you die you die."

I smiled when he started walking off. I really hoped he didn't mean that, but knowing him, he probably did.

His shoulder brushed Leon's bicep harshly when he passed, but Leon didn't seem to mind. He looked practically emotionless.

I entered the empty elevator and waited for him. All I could do was cloud my mind with silly thoughts within these small seconds.