ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝟙𝟘

♛    ♛    ♛

♛    ♛    ♛

The choir silenced and the pastor announced the service was finished.

Vincent let go of my hand in an instant, and before I could say anything, I was interrupted by Jason. "Hey um...taking grandma home pretty soon."

"Right," I said beneath my breath, "I'll go talk to her."

Vincent was already making his way down the isle and over to the exit. Great, I thought. I wanted a word with him while he still seemed vulnerable, but now it seemed to be too late.

Jason pinched my hip playfully, "Stop looking at him."

I stuck my tongue out at him in response, and he was already missing me more than I could ever know.

• • •

I sat on the outside steps of the church alongside Lucinda.

"I won't be here for much longer, dear," she said rather positively.

Even in hard times, she remained optimistic.

I played with my fingers, nodding. Deep talks were so uncomfortable to me, but I listened nonetheless.

"That means neither you or Jason will have me to smack y'all in the heads for stupid deeds. Do you understand that?"

"Yes ma'am," I responded automatically.

She smiled and rested her hand on mine, "I love you."

Love?

"Promise me you'll love yourself as well, pudding."

"I already love myself."

She tilted her head at me, giving me one of those looks again. "Another thing that needs to be handled are these lies that you tell yourself and others."

I could already feel myself about to break down.

"You're such a beautiful young woman, and you deserve to be carried that way, so hold yourself up more. Okay?"

I swallowed the tears that formed in my throat and nodded once again.

She kissed my head. "I know you'll be fine."

I almost told her thank you, but she wagged her finger and stood, grabbing her cane. "That is all I wanted to say. Goodnight."

"I-I can help-"

"No," she said and limped her way to Jason's car. "I will see you Sunday, dear."

Jason got out of the driver's seat to help her into the passenger side, giving me a small nod as goodbye. That was all we did now. Acknowledge each other, and leave, with nothing else to say.

When they were out of sight, the parking lot was empty, and I was still seated on the steps.

I hugged my knees to my chest and buried my head.