Chapter 28 - You Will Live

Clara's POV

Jakob goes to remove the chair from under the doorknob. After, he turns back to face me, extending his hand for me to take, all while smirking handsomely. I eye his hand, smiling behind closed lips when I recall the memory of our last night together before he disappeared. He did this. Before we left our bedroom, this is how I remember him. I look up at him and then move towards him fast. I take his hand, squeezing it strongly.

"The last time I took your hand, you disappeared after. Don't you dare disappear on me again, Jakob Gustafson or Charlie will not be the only monster you know to come after your soul," I warn him. Jakob smirks, wraps an arm around my back and then pulls me close, holding me against him. He gazes into my eyes, his smirk turning into a bright smile.

"I should fear your wrath yet here I am, finding you and your threat to be so hot," he claims.

"I mean it, Jakob. You're not disappearing on me again," I tell him. Jakob lifts our hands and brings them up between our faces. With eyes still pinned on mine, he kisses the top of my hand and then lowers ours.

"I would be the biggest fool to ever let you slip from my hand again," he speaks, and I bite my bottom lip to hide a happy cry.

"Are you ready to do this?" he asks. I nod my head.

"Let's just do what we got to do, so that we can end this and go home," I tell him.

"Home... I want that more than anything," he says, and I want that more than anything for him too. His home is with me. It's with Edvin. It's with the both of us and soon, he will know it. I grab his shoulder, step up on my toes and lean in to kiss him. My lips press against his for a long moment before I pull back to stare into his eyes.

"Alright. I'm ready now," I say with a little smile. Jakob smiles, kisses my forehead, and then turns, switching hands so that he can still hold mine but reach out to open the door with the other. We make our way down the long hall, descend the huge staircase, and move throughout this massive castle. It's quiet and I don't like it. I don't like anything about this. It's creepy and has my anxiety is growing rampant. Jakob kisses my temple, after feeling me squeeze his hand extra tight.

"I got you," he whispers into my ear. I nod, and swallow back a large gulp before I take in a deep breath, only to release it in one long exhale. We come upon two large wooden doors ahead, one of them slightly ajar. Jakob pushes the door back, revealing Gustaf across the warm, fire-lit room. He stands in front of a large lit fireplace and smelling and hearing the crackling of burning logs instantly reminds me of Edvin. I miss my Edvin. His head turns and he smiles when he sees us enter. He observes our hands and then looks up, gazing at the both of us.

"I see you two have welcomed each other back graciously. How delightful," he adds. He turns, now facing us.

"Do not just stand there. Come on in. Take a seat. Make yourselves comfortable," he suggests. I look to Jakob, and he gives me a subtle nod. We move towards Gustaf who still stands where he is and then we take a seat on the leather sofa, facing away from him. Gustaf walks towards us, taking the single seat across from us. He sits back in his chair, relaxing with a bright smile.

"Well," he says. "What brings you two to grace my presence?" he wonders.

"Answers," I say. "We want answers," I add. Gustaf repositions himself, scooting to the edge of his seat, He rests on his arms, leaning closer towards us.

"And what answers might you seek, Clara?" he asks.

"Well, for starters. What do you have planned for us? Why are we all still alive? What do you want with us?" I ask. A rising smirk lifts at the corner of Gustaf's lips before he speaks.