Chapter 26 - I Have A Confession

Like two tectonic plates, we fly across the room, our bodies colliding with a slam.

"Adam," I cry while gazing up and into his bright blue eyes. He smiles, a soft happy chuckle escaping past his lips.

"Clara. My sweetheart," he tenderly claims behind a whisper. His hands move up, holding my face between his palms. His eyes go back and forth, searching mine as if this is not real. As if I am not real but it is me who thinks that of him. For as long as I can remember, I thought he was dead.

"You're alive," I happily whisper and although I can physically feel and see him, a part of me doubts that this is real, even with the evidence.

"I'm alive," he repeats, smiling even bigger than me. We both release a happy, crying chuckle and then he pulls my head in, laying a long, hard kiss against my forehead. He wraps his arms around me, holding me strongly against him. The side of his face rests against my temple while he sways me in his arms, and it feels just like the old days. It feels like he never left. He feels like home.

"I thought I'd never see you again," he claims. "I've missed you. I've missed you so much," I hear his broken voice cry. I pull back so that I may see him.

"Adam..." I begin to sob. His thumbs reach up, wiping away my tears, something he used to do all the time.

"Still taking those pills that make you cry?" he teases, causing me to smile behind closed lips.

"I told you they turn me into a big cry baby," I remind, yet after speaking that, I think of the actual baby that I am carrying. I'm carrying his brother's baby and he doesn't even know.

"What is it? Your smile went away. Tell me what you are thinking. Just tell me anything. Just let me hear your voice so I know that this is not a dream," he says, causing me to burst into tears.

"Ohh, sweetheart," he coos, now holding me and my head against him again.

"I'm here, Clara. I'm here and I've got you. Wait," he says, pulling back to hold my shoulders. His eyes are wide and his mouth parts, staring at me in a state of confusion and shock.

"How did you get here? What are you doing here?" he questions, and I can see the panic on his face. He then looks up and behind me. I turn in his arms, seeing Gustaf smirking and standing between the door. Adam's hold on me grows tighter, just as his arms wrap further around my body, protecting me from the evil creature that stands before us.

"Why?" he deeply questions his father.

"Why?" Gustaf responds. "We'll get to that question later but for now, I am sure that you two have some... Re-acquainting to do. After all, what kind of host would I be if I did not allow my guest of honor to catch up with her long-lost husband? Do take advantage of the opportunity, because neither one of you may not get the chance to later," he adds, before backing away and shutting the door. Adam releases me, moving quickly across the room to lock the door. He goes to grab a chair and then comes back, shoving it up and under the doorknob.

"That's not going to keep him from busting down the door if he wants to," I inform him.

"But it will stall him for the time being," he turns back around and responds. He stands where he is, gazing at me from across the room.

"There's so much I want to say to you," I tell him. "There's so much I want to ask you," I cry. I wipe away my own tears, yet they just keep on falling.

"Clara..." Adam struggles to speak. He takes a quick step towards and then stops.

"What? What Adam?" I ask. Adam continues gazing at me, and I know he wants to speak, but finds it difficult to do.