Chapter 18 - What's Next, Doctor?

Two Months Later...

Clara's POV

I take a deep breath and close my fists, balling them to where my nails dig into the palms of my flesh. My eyes close and I release a slow exhale, finding myself just a little more relaxed than a moment ago.

"Are you ready, angel?" Edvin comes up from behind, distracting me with just his mere presence and it's just what I need. Peace. He brings me peace. He brings me happiness. He brings me joy. I sigh in total bliss and relax back against him. While he rests his gloved covered hands on top of my shoulders. I turn my head back, smiling warmly up at him.

"As long as you're with me, I'll be okay," I tell him. He smiles before he leans down and blesses me with a soul binding kiss. I turn around, allowing his hands to slide down the back of my coat. He pulls me against him, and I reach up, wrapping my arms around his neck, holding onto him, never wanting to let go.

"You're going to be late, my angel," he whispers against my lips. A smile breaks through mine and I glance down, smiling shyly. He kisses my forehead and when he pulls away, I look up at him, beaming behind closed lips.

"Whatever the outcome of today's news, I'll always be here for you," he tells me, and I believe him. This man will always be here for me. He's not going anywhere and neither am I.

"Thank you," I tell him.

"Thank you, Clara," he tells me. "Now let's get going. We have a busy day ahead of us," he reminds, and I release another long breath of air and turn, heading for the front door.

"Alright. Let's get this day over with so we can home and watch that new movie that's out," I tell him. I'm then surprised when he comes up behind me and smacks my ass. His warm breath and lips grace my ear and I shiver, suddenly trembling by just his mere intoxicating presence.

"After today's grand news, I don't expect a movie will be in store for us, but a lot of celebratory fucking. Tonight, I've got a surprise for you, angel and you're going to love it," he tells me, and my heart is now pounding in nervousness and in anticipation for whatever this man has in store for me. He moves around, now standing between me and the door, all while smirking in silence.

"What?" I ask. He shakes his head, deciding not to answer. Instead, he reaches for my hand and then turns around, leading us out into the cold winter day. He goes to open the passenger door open for me and helps me in before shutting it. I smile while I watch him walk around the vehicle and then smile even bigger when he gets in and shuts the door behind him. I wait, staring at him until he finally turns to me.

"What?" he asks, smirking. I shake my head, giving him the same dose of his medicine.

"Nothing," I say. He chuckles and turns to adjust the vents that already blow warm air onto us.

"Thanks for pre-heating the vehicle and for driving," I thank him. He looks to me.

"Of course. Anything for you, angel," he says, and I can't help but smile even bigger after witnessing that gorgeous beam of his own. After a moment, he takes off, pulling out of the circle driveway and on to the long, private road, heading for the main one.

We drive, mostly in silence and it's nice. Blissful even. Every now and then I take a glance at him, only to catch him glancing back at me with a smile as big as mine. We're happy right now. We've been happy, but especially right now. I'm late. I'm never late. Haven't been since I was younger, but I'm late now and— Well... I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I'm trying not to think about it too much. I'm staying calm. I'm staying cool, but most importantly, I'm trying not to stress, but then I think of him. Adam... I think of him and... A sudden lump in my throat triggers my bottom lip to tremble. Soon, my eyes glaze over with liquid. I turn my head quickly, staring out the passenger side window, so Edvin will not see me cry.