Chapter 10 - Searching For You

‼️TRIGGER WARNING‼️

This chapter contains disturbing and an emotionally traumatic retelling of events. Please read with caution.

I hold her close, us resting on our sides, and I never let go

I hold her close, us resting on our sides, and I never let go. Not for one minute. What violent trembles her shaking body had once produced, has died down to just a calm shiver. She's warming, warming against my heated skin. I can feel her. Her body is heating, and thank fucking Tyr, she's coming back. She's coming back to me, and I am beyond relieved. Thankful. I am blessed. Blessed that I do not have to live a day without this little angel, because to know a day without her, will be day that I would not wish to live.

"Tell me— More, Ed— vin," she asks of me. I have to keep her awake. I have to keep her talking. She can't fall asleep. I have to keep her conscious. Her grayish green eyes stare into mine, waiting for me to continue sharing my home country with her. I hold her close, one arm wrapped around her back, while the other rests under her neck and around her shoulder. Her palms rest against the warm skin of my chest. She gazes up at me, and I swear I melt. I melt, vowing on my life right here, right now, that I will do whatever it takes to give this woman the life that she deserves. I would give her anything. Anything she asks of me, for our lives are now intertwined, connected by a fate that for some reason, chose to spare and have us meet. She is my life now and I'll be damned if we do not get to live it, together, happily.

"Okay. I'll tell you more," I say before I begin again, choosing to go with a story from my life that set me down the path that led me here, to her.

"When I was younger. Twenty-four I believe. I left work mid-day. Ready to escape it all and never look back. I jumped onto my motorcycle, leaving Stockholm in my rear-view mirrors. I drove off into the brisk Autumn day, with not a destination in sight, but just the open road ahead of me. I drove west, passing my hometown of Vällingby until I made it to Örobro. When I got there, I decided to keep driving. I made it to Sunne and thought, "not far enough," so I kept going, eventually making it to Darlana."

"And— When you— Got there?" she wonders.

"I stopped, stepping off my bike at Lake Siljan," I tell her. I sigh, recalling the distant memory. "I must have sat on the soft grass and gazed at that lake for hours. It was calming, peaceful. Listening to the ripple of waves and the birds above cawing and tweeting... I began to forget about the troubles of my life and began to embrace nature and its beauty. The sun began to set, casting a breathtaking pink glow over the water and all I can remember thinking was, "this is what life should be. This is what I want my life to be."

"Staring at that lake, I began to connect with emotions that I did not know existed. For the first time, I found myself at peace, not war. I gazed at that lake, even after it had grown dark, and I contemplated my entire life. I began to see it for what it was and what it was not. I was lost with absolutely no direction on where to go, but down the road that was already paved out for me, but when I gazed at that lake, life began to become clearer. Only then could I see where I wanted to end up."