Chapter 2 - Dead And Frozen

Edvin changed his mind about wanting more to eat, so as he feeds himself another bowl of soup and some warmed bread, I sit back against the coffee table, gazing into the burning flames.

"So, you really have no place to go?" I ask him. I hear him set his bowl of soup down behind me and then after a moment, he answers.

"No. I don't," he responds. I turn back to look at him.

"No family or friends will take you in?" I ask, wondering what on Earth this guy must be going through to have everyone turn their back on him.

"No one I can trust," he's says, and I sigh.

"That's really sad, Edvin. I'm sorry to hear that," I tell him. He shrugs, while looking down. He snorts just as a sarcastic smile breaks from his lips.

"You know. People always say that they'll be there for you, but it's when you need them the most, that they just disappear," he says now looking up at me.

"I know what you mean," I reply. In more ways than one. "I guess sometimes it just takes a complete stranger to come into your life and restore your faith in life and humanity," I say.

"I'm beginning to realize that," he responds. I release a loud, exaggerated sigh before going on to speak.

"Alright, so here's what I'm thinking," I tell him. "I'm thinking that there's no way in Hell, I'm sending you back out there to freeze, so for now, until we come up with something, you're welcome to stay here. On the condition you don't attempt to hurt, kill or rob me, which you already said that you wouldn't. I'm taking your word on that, Edvin. Don't fuck with me. I may be tiny but I'm packing like a dynamite. I'll fuck you up," I warn, yet the big guy only chuckles.

"I mean it," I seriously tell him.

"I believe you. I'm sure you're capable of defending yourself if need be, but I assure you, you won't need to defend yourself against me. I would never hurt you," he tells me.

"Good. Well, now that's settled. I've got a big place, but I'm going to set you up in the basement and before you wonder, it's renovated and made into its own living quarters. It's actually really nice," I tell him.

"I'm sure it is," he says.

"Would you like to see it?"

"Yeah. I'd like that," he says. He looks down at the food tray, about to pick it up but I stop him.

"Oh, just leave all that. I'll clean it up later," I tell him. He nods and begins to slowly stand on shaky legs. Before he has time to fall, I jump to my feet and am quick to wrap an arm around him. His arm wraps around my shoulders and he looks down at me, gazing into my eyes.

"I'm not this weak man," he brokenly tells me.

"I know, Edvin. That's why we're going to get you feeling better," I tell him. I tap his stomach and then have us begin walking. "I got you. I'm stronger than I look," I say to him. He lightly chuckles and gives the shoulder that he holds, a little squeeze. I eye his hand and find myself lightly smiling at the physical contact. It's been a while since I had any sort of human interaction, well except for my dad and his big hugs but other than that, no one else has ever touched me. No one else has ever gotten this close. Not since— I shiver and not from the cold.

"I'm sorry. Am I making you uncomfortable?" Edvin looks down at me and asks. I look up at him and shake my head.

"No. Not at all actually," I reply, and that seems to make him happy because he releases a long, deep sigh.

"If I ever do make you feel uncomfortable, you can tell me. This is your home, and I wouldn't want to make you feel uncomfortable in it," he says, and my lifeless, cold heart just began to beat again.