Chapter 36 - Testing the Waters

Maine fell asleep while reading the book she had at the terrace when Alden asked her for an afternoon stroll. She woke up a little late but felt good, she needed that sleep after her trip from Germany. She checked on her phone for any messages or missed calls and there's one from Anna requesting a girls' night out. Sent Anna a message to say that she is free the day after tomorrow. Just a few minutes after sending her message Anna responded with a smiley emoji. Just then, the other phone lit up, and saw a message from RJ. It says that he will be picking her up in 20 minutes. That's enough time for her to get ready.

They were walking along the lake and enjoying the silent walk they are having when Maine asked RJ 'Are you dating?'

That caught RJ off guard but smiled and responded 'I did just last week..... with you'. Maine was surprised and said 'Kainis to, yun seryoso RJ, may dinedate ka ba?'

Eto naman! Bakit mo natanong? - RJ

Seryoso? I asked you a question you answer me with a question? Ano to RJ? Sige ayaw mo ng magshare? ok lang. - Maine

He looked at her seriously, and seriously answered 'I dated once before, but it didn't work out, now I am not dating' Maine looked at him curiously and said 'Talaga nag date ka? Sino? Kilala ko ba? Bakit di nag work out?'. Eyeing her curiously, 'Talaga ba Menggay sunod sunod ang tanong?'

Di nag work out kasi we had hectic schedules and we both realized that we are better off as friends. - RJ

You decided to be friends? So that means hindi lang isang beses kayo nag date. She must be special to earn more that one date with you. Do I know her? - Maine

Why the sudden interest, Menggay? O i-bubully mo lang ako? - RJ

Hey! Matagal tayong di nagkita and hindi ka na nagparamdam, you owe me this catching up RJ. Ayaw mo na ba talagang mag share sa akin? (pouts) - Maine

Namiss ko yan pouting lips mo na yan (smiles) and fine, kilala mo siya, si Kyla Rivera. I dated her for a while. Satisfied? and he walks ahead of Menggay to avoid any follow-up question - RJ

Maine was shocked by the revelation and was open mouth surprised. Yes, she knows Kyla Rivera because they are from the same Management. She didn't have any idea at all whenever she visits the office and sees her there. In fact, she didn't know that they were dating. People from their Management must have known this yet she was kept in the dark.

Maine's POV

Ano ba dapat ko maramdaman sa nalaman ko. Ang daming tumatakbo sa isip ko moreso hindi ko alam ang dapat kong maramdaman. Pero isa lang ang angat na emosyon - masakit. Pero bakit masakit? Masakit kasi hindi ko alam? Masakit kasi nag date siya ng ibang babae other than me? Masakit kasi capable siya to be with another girl? Saan ba nanggagaling ang sakit? Teka nga, bakit nga ba ganito?...........Nagseselos ako. Pero bakit? Dapat ba akong makaramdam ng ganito? bakit ako nakakaramdam ng ganito?.............Teka hindi pwede. HIndi nga ba pwede?

Maine tried to catch up with RJ walking ahead of her. Trying her best not to show him that she was affected by the revelation she found out. She tried hard to be herself.

Hey! bakit ka nang iiwan? Nawiwili ka ng iwan ako ha, nakakatampo ka na ng sobra - Maine

Alden stopped walking when she heard Maine. He didn't expect that to hear from Maine. Iba pala kapag nanggaling sa kanya compared sa narinig mo lang sa ibang tao ang pagtatampo niya. Nagbibiro man siya o hindi sa sinabi niya naapektuhan si Alden. Nasaktan niya si Menggay at yun pa naman ang ayaw niya mangyari. Alden tried to be casual about it and tried to appease her by side hugging her to reassure her and saying 'Huy ano ka ba? Hindi kita iniiwan mabagal ka lang maglakad. At please, wag mo isipin na iiwanan kita. May mga pagkakataon lang na kailangan wala ako sa tabi mo dahil meron ng tumitingin sayo at nag aalaga. Tsaka you need to spread your wings. Pero nasa tabi tabi lang ako. Wag ka na magtampo, please?'

Maine stopped walking after hearing what Alden said. She faced him and looked at him tenderly if she looks at him a bit longer the tears in her eyes would fall and he will see it. She has to collect herself so that they can continue this afternoon walk. 'Sige hindi na ako magtatampo if you treat mo to a gelato that you promised'

Alden was looking at those beautiful doe brown eyes, he swears that he saw tears form around those beautiful eyes and it hits his heart that he is the reason why those tears are threatening to fall. But Menggay was quick to recover and he just needs to follow her lead. 'Gelato lang pala e, game! Ilan ba para hindi na magtampo si Menggay?'

Madamimg gelato, Maine said. And they were on their way, Alden not taking off his arms on her shoulder as he used to when they go strolling. This is going to be a long afternoon stroll, could turn into a better understanding, or could go the other way. But in their hearts, all they need is clarity, understanding, acceptance....bottom line, they need their truths to be said and be heard.

-----------------------------------------------------

Let's hope that these two would be able to sort their way to each other's hearts - author

**errors under your care***