23

Sandra got to the nursing home quickly, going into Peggy's room immediately. She could see the older woman looked weaker than the last time they spoke, her skin looking paler than usual.

"Peg- hey Peggy." She said, sitting down next to Peggy and taking her hand.

Peggy looked over to Sandra and smiled. "You've had me worried. And your hair has never been that dark, has it?" She asked, "neither you or Steven have come by for about two weeks, I thought something had happened."

Sandra sighed and shook her head, holding her tears back. "Well, actually Steve and Bucky brought their avenger friends and found me during one of my blueprint rescue missions. Saved my life actually. The base released their winter soldiers."

"Oh my." Peggy said. She was always interested in Sandra's stories. They were hardly ever boring, just very stressful to know that she's gone through that. "Well did you get hurt? Your neck is awfully bruised."

Sandra shrugged. "Failed hydra attempt to kill me." She said, rubbing the bruises. "They poisoned the big green guy and controlled him to try and kill me."

Peggy looked at Sandra with wide eyes. "Kassandra!" She said in shock. "What happened after that? Did you need a hospital?"

"No, no I just needed vocal rest. I cant go to a hospital, I'll be recognized immediately." Sandra said, "did you know people have been calling me Miss America by the way?" She asked with a small laugh.

Peggy smiled and let out a small laugh as well. "I did, they were always very passionate about the Rogers siblings symbolizing America." She laughed, "but sandy, I want to know how your actually doing. Aside from all of the work missions."

Sandra said quietly thinking. She didn't even know how she was doing. Too much was going on for her to just feel one emotion. "I'm doing fine, why?"

Peggy raised an eyebrow. "I may be old and wrinkly, but I know when my closest friend needs someone to talk to." She said, lifting up Sandra's hand that held hers. "Let's start off simple, how's Steven reacting to your return."

Sandra laughed. "That is not starting simple peg." She said, "we've done nothing but argue for the past two weeks. I wish we didn't, but we did."

Peggy frowned and straightened herself out in the bed. "Steven wasn't ever good at speaking to a woman, whether it was me or you. He's just confused." She said, "and how about sergeant Barnes? How's he taking your return?"

Sandra smiled softly to herself. "Bucky is great. He's been there for me the entire time I've been at the compound. But him and Steve are out in a mission and have been gone a few days." She said. "I think Bucky is the only one that hasn't made me consider killing yet. Tony is a pain in the ass like Howard, and the rest are.. questionable."

Peggy nodded. "Tony is Howard's son correct? I'm trying to remember." She asked, Sandra nodding her head yes. "Once a stark, always a stark." She joked.

Sandra smiled and gave Peggy a hug. "So what about you? How's this dump?" She asked, looking around the neatly decorated room.

"Nothing much. I'm in a lot more pain now though." Peggy said, rubbing her side as she moved the slightest bit. "I think old age is getting to me."

The smile on Sandra's face fell a little bit, realizing one of her fears was coming to a reality. She wasn't ready to say goodbye to Peggy.

Peggy frowned too, putting her soft hand on Sandra's cheek. "Don't worry about me, sandy. This is something no one can avoid." Peggy said, giving Sandra a reassuring look. "There comes a time in everyone's life where the conversations of the past become more meaningful."

"But peg I don't think I'm ready to be out there alone." Sandra said, wiping her tears away. "I've always had you or Howard to come back to. After Howard was killed, it's was just us."

Peggy smiled. "The girl gang." She laughed, referring to what Howard would call the female duo when they would be seen together.

Sandra took a breath and nodded her head at Peggy. "The girl gang." She breathed. "Also, eh, Tony wanted to come by and see you too. He's stuck at the compound keeping the government busy so they don't find me."

"I meant to ask about that. You were all over the news." Peggy said, "I think it's time for another dye job. The jet black hair is all over news outlets and newspaper covers. Or you could just end the hunt and come out of hiding."

Sandra smirked and shook her head. She felt the phone in her pocket begin to buzz, a message from Tony popping up.

Tony:
Your fossils are coming back any minute. Steve said he needs to talk to you so I suggest getting here.

"Ugh Steve always ruins the moment." Sandra sighed, sticking the phone back into her pocket. "I've gotta get going peg, Steve and Bucky are almost back and Steve needs me."

Peggy nodded, giving Sandra a soft smile. "One more hug." She said, putting her arms out.

Sandra could see how weak Peggy had become, but still managed to stay strong. Stepping closer, Sandra held Peggy in a hug lightly, trying to keep herself from crying.

"Till we meet again, Sandy." Peggy just hardly whispered before Sandra could feel her body weight become heavier in her arms.

Letting go, Sandra laid Peggy back onto the pillows and looked at her in concern. "Peggy?" She asked, shaking the woman. When she didn't get a response, she shook her again. "Peg come on this isn't funny.."

She turned herself invisible again with her watch and hit the emergency button in the room. Almost immediately, a nurse came running in.

Sandra moved herself to the corner of the room out of the way, watching as the nurse checked Peggy. "Miss Carter?" The nurse asked. When she didn't get a response, she moved to checking Peggy's pulse.

A look of disappointment fell onto the nurses face as she gently pulled her hand away. "Time.. 4:47pm." She said as she wrote on her clipboard.

Sandra covered her mouth as her tears immediately filled her eyes. Her entire body trembling as she exited the nursing home.

Peggy Carter was dead.