Chapter 22

"You did it princess. You graduated in the top ten of your class with Summa Cum Laude honors. I'm so proud of you." My dad said hugging me.

I hugged him back sighing in content. "Thank you daddy. It was hard but I made it happen." I said.

"Out of all the kids you got the highest GPA. That's dope." My daddy said trying to sound 'hip'

James scoffed. "By one point."

"One point that you don't have." I said smiling. "So you can go on and give up them keys to the beach house." I told
Him.

He rolled his eyes giving me the keys.

"It don't matter anyways her lonely ass ain't never gonna have nobody up in there but Erin and Kels." Jackson said.

I rolled my eyes and elbowed him in the gut.

"Why? I thought you and Devin were together?" My dad asked.

"Dad do you see a Devin here? No they been done for months." Christian said.

"Why?" He asked.

before I could answer Chris chimed. "Because something your daughter probably did. You know how she get."

"Shut up Chris. Seriously you know nothing." I said.

"Don't upset Joy. It's her day." My mother reminded.

"Where's Erin and Kels?" I asked.

Kelsey and I had made up after our little argument at lunch. Once I explained the situation to her, she understood where I was coming from and she said she didn't blame me for my wanting to be bothered.

I think that it's stupid to waste time in a relationship with someone who knows that they will never love me or anyone else for that matter. I mean wanting someone to be the mother of your children to me, has to be out of some type of love but all Devin was worried about was having someone to be the mother of his heirs and I'm honestly not that woman.

From what I've heard, he's doing well for himself. I honestly wish him the best and I hope he finds whatever it is he's looking for, I just know it's not with me. A fuck buddy who you just so happen to be married to is not something I want. Call me crazy but I want love and romance and courtship.

"Him and Jeremy had to leave after you got off of stage. Erin said it was an emergency." Jackson explained.

"Oh okay." I said nodding.

"So what are you trying to at into tonight?" Chris asked me.

I shrugged. "Bed."

He laughed. "Are you serious?" He asked.

"Yes, I want to go home, eat and then go to bed."I said.

Finals whipped my ass. Between that, finding a job and maintaining the job I have at the shop all I want to do is sleep.

He nodded. "Alright alum. Let's get out of here."He said leading me to the truck after we took family pictures.

Once I got home, I made my way in the house, walking dreadfully slow. God sleep is calling me all kinds of ways

"Surprise!" A bunch of people said as I entered my house.

I gasped loudly. I truly wasn't expecting a party seeing as my extended family said they wouldn't make it to my graduation.

My eyes lit up seeing everyone in the house. The house was nicely decorated with a banner but I heard music coming from the back. As I greeted my guests inside of my house who seemed to be all family I figured the real party was outside.

Once I got outside I saw people I graduated with, along with others outside. The decorations fit me perfectly. White, Gold and Black every where with all of my guests dressed in black and white.

I couldn't help but smile and be happy that all my family was here, celebrating my day with me.

"Surprise!" Erin and Kelsey said hugging me.

"Y'all did this!" I said hugging them back.

"We had I set up but we saw you walk the stage." Erin assured.

"Oh I know. I heard your loud self. 'Yes that's my sister ! That's my friend'" I mocked him.

"You know I had to let them know." He said.

"Thank y'all." I said as my mom announced that we could start heading in for food.

"Oh you're boyfriend is here." Kelsey said.

"Who?" I asked.

No one knows about the guy I'm dating yet so what she talking about?

"Devin." Erin said. "And he has his brother and niece with him."he said pointing them out.

I smiled getting out of my seat fast. Although I haven't been speaking to Devin I kept in contact with Derrick a and Melanie after Melanie's mom and Derrick spotted me in the super market a few dash later

"Hey guys." I said hugging Derrick and Melanie.

"Hey Ms.Lauren" Melanie said squeezing my neck. "I missed you." She said

"Awe I missed you too kid. I'm glad you came." I said.

"You welcome. We was at your moving on ceremony too." She said.

"Mels, it's graduation she's not going to first grade." Derrick said.

"I know but that word hard to say because my teeth feel out." She pouted talking about the slur she has in her speech.

"I think it's cute. You were at my graduation though?" I asked.

"Mmh. Uncle Dee Dee take us." She said referring to Devin.

"Oh okay." I said nodding. "Well thanks for coming. Do you want to get some food?" I asked her

"Oh yes." She said. "I hungry for some sweets." She said

"Food first, sweets later." I told her.

She batted her lashes innocently. "Alright. Uncle Der Der fix me plate please." She said.

He nodded, holding her hand and walking away. I started to follow them until I was pulled back on the arm.

"Hey." Devin said to me.

"Hey." I said looking everywhere but at him.

"I'm sorry." He said after a few seconds of silence.

I shook my head. "No need to be sorry. It's fine." I told him.

"No, it's not. I'm sorry because I've got some stuff with me that I'm battling with and I know that I fucked up really bad with you but I would like to say what I said was not what I meant. No, I don't believe in love but it's not because of you it's because of other stuff that I don't want to necessarily want to talk about. I guess my point in saying all of this is to ask for at least a friendship with you." He said

I sighed rubbing my forehead. I nodded my head, instead of being petty like I wanted to. "We can be friends but nothing else." I said.

"We wouldn't even have the chance because I'm moving." He said.

"Really?" I asked a little broken up about that.

"Yeah. I got a job so today actually is my last day."
He said

I nodded my head. "Thank you for coming and experiencing that with me. I'm grateful." I said "I wish you the absolute best."

"I wish you that and more for you,
You're a beautiful and, gorgeous, great woman. I know any man that gets you will be more than lucky. Good Luck and congratulations." He said before pulling me into a tight hug.

Against my initial thought, I gripped him back leaning into the hug.

A/N

Y'all had lots to say last chapter. Thank y'all for commenting

50 comments