(52) Elementary Matchmakers - ThomasxNico (and others)

Start from the beginning

As Thomas was alone Janus saw his perfect time to strike. He was a mischievous little child - maybe he was going to be a compulsive liar as a teenager but those days were yet to come. All he knew was that lying got him what he wanted with his parents, and his friends and teachers believed him most of the time and it made magic things happen. 

"Hey Thomas, you should give this bucket to Nico." Janus held out the bouquet of flowers shyly - he didn't quite understand words yet of course so exchanged the romantic French word for 'bucket'. Just like the day before Thomas raised his eyebrow and traced the daisy he was holding with his fingers.

"Why?"

"Because you should kiss him." Janus answered quickly, spotting Patton pretty much dragging Nico up a tree out the corner of his eye. The only problem with this whole plan was that his parents had said boys shouldn't kiss boys - so he shifted blame to get in trouble. "Patton said so."

When Janus looked back at Thomas he too was watching Nico and Patton 'play'. He then quickly turned back to Janus and gave him a challenging look. Without even realising the usually lying six year old was red as a rose. "Well - I dare you to give that to Patton." He said as he stood, then began walking proudly to the tree Patton and Nico were at. Janus followed noticeably shier and just watched Patton swinging his leg from the top of the tree.

He held the bouquet of yellow, white and blue flowers straight ahead of his as Thomas called Nico and Patton down. His eyes were just on the flowers - and eventually on Patton's blue eyes as the boy in the cat t-shirt realised what was going on.

Thomas and Nico ran away back to the flowers, giggling to themselves and the new romance they just caused.

*****

On Wednesday Thomas and Nico were involved in a game of tag with two of their classmates - Roman's twin brother Remus Brenin and a more nerdy and reluctant Logan Akamai. The only thing that got Logan involved in this game was that Remus had grabbed the book he was reading. And Logan would never stop reading - it was a problem maybe diagnosed later or brought down to introversion. 

"Nico! Stop catching me - you're on my team!" Thomas shouted, distracted from his prey of Remus by Nico's tap on his shoulder. For a moment the pair just stared at each other smiling - as if telling each other a little secret with his eyes - which made Logan and Remus stop.

Remus and Logan were another pair of best friends in their first grade class. But unlike other friends they didn't ask each other about what they'd do first - Remus just did things and dragged Logan along either out of concern or by force. During this staring contest was one of these times. Remus grabbed Logan's hand and ran opposite their classmates - then shouted something Logan definitely didn't expect. "Truth and dare! Kiss the person you're standing next to!"

Logan tried to duck from the impending action but unfortunately he was not born with quick reflexes and hadn't developed them yet in his six years of life. Luckily it was only a peck that lasted a second. It did make his heart beat faster a little and his cheeks became slightly red. Remus smiled triumphantly back at the other pair of kids - they just had raised eyebrows.

"Con...grats?" Nico mumbled, then smiled at them. "Can we carry on playing now?"

Quickly Logan nodded and began to run away. Whether because of the kiss or the game the other two were unsure - but they continued to play anyway. "Switch teams!" Remus screamed mid run and did a right angle turn towards Logan. For a moment Nico and Thomas stopped chasing and just watched Remus catch up to Logan - then grab him, dip him, and kiss his lips again. Logan erupted in red again and fell to the floor... just staring up at his friend in silence. "Do you like that dork?"

The small child nodded and erupted into a smile, and Remus gave him his book back but that was definitely not correlated. For the rest of the day Remus and Logan were more focused on each other and less on the 'best couple in first grade'. They did get lots of compliments from their fellow classmates and basked in the glory for the day.

*****

While people were more distracted on Thursday by the 'new couple', there were still two best friends who wanted to see Thomas and Nico fall in love and get married. That was Remy Ikhofi and Emile Sadiq - they weren't involved in the main group of friends but still watched the two apparent lovebirds from afar. 

Nico and Thomas were playing in the sandpit and making sandcastles together (or at least trying to), giggling and sticking their tongues out at each other. "Ooh! Imagine if they wrote love letters for reach other in the sand Remy!" Emile smiled as he draw in his colouring book. Remy was colouring with him but mainly just drawing coffee - his favourite drink.

"They're too cowardly for that babe." Remy chirped back, he platonically called everyone 'babe' and 'loves' - probably a habit learnt from his coffee-obsessed parents that he seemed to be following in the footsteps of. Emile was still watching the kids in the sandpit until they were distracted by Roman's shouts that Remus and Logan were 'doing cute married people things' and of course that meant they had to see. "You want to write a message for them?" Remy chirped - seemingly reading his friend's mind.

Emile quickly ran towards the sandpit and began to write (Remy gave advice on what to write but they were mainly ignored as they weren't cute enough). They wanted to make something that looked like it was made by Thomas - they didn't exactly know the logic of the whole thing but they were expecting Nico to hug Thomas and kiss him like the movies after reading it. "There! Will you marry me, Nico?"

Before Remy could give him input on the sentence he spotted Nico and Thomas making their way towards the sandpit again. He grabbed Emile's hand and ran behind a tree - his eyes wide expecting to watch magic.

Thomas and Nico both stared at the question in the sand in silence, then simply smiled at each other. It was underwhelming but it fit their character thus far. Both Emile and Remy complained for a little bit in mumbles and groans until they too were distracted by a nearby soccer game starting.

*****

Everyone was playing together on Friday in a giant game of Mr Wolf. Partners took in turns to stand at the top of the climbing frame, covering their eyes and saying a number, whoever reached the climbing frame was Wolf next.

Nico and Thomas were sat next to each other. "What's the time Mr Wolf?" The group shouted at the pair. After some silence the couple decided on three o'clock. The group took their steps - Logan up first soon followed by his partner Remus who was cheating a little bit to be next to his playground husband, then Roman and Virgil were using Virgil's quick legs and Roman's smart (slightly cheating) tactics, then Remy and Emile were running off their shared coffee breakfast and lastly Patton and Janus were getting more distracted by butterflies and Janus had to make sure his friend didn't run off.

After a few rounds Remus managed to overtake Logan, grabbing Nico while he was counting and climbing on his back. Nico shyly laughed and tried to keep his balance. "Now because I win you two have to kiss!" Remus laughed before running over to Logan and kissing his cheek. They all expected Thomas and Nico to look confused and ignore the request again but they were incorrect.

Thomas smirked at Nico and grabbed his hand, making sure to reveal the holding hands to the rest of the class who gasped and grunted like monkeys. Nico then swooped in and kissed Thomas' cheek - and the shouts only got louder.

"It's our week anniversary!" Thomas shouted to the crowd, trying to ignore his pink cheeks as he held his partner. Needless to say there were lots of questions - and the game was forgotten for the rest of recess because of it.