𝑡 𝑤 𝑒 𝑛 𝑡 𝑦 𝑡 𝒉 𝑟 𝑒 𝑒

chapter twenty three

Cassandra pov

"I just don't understand what's gotten into you girls. One my favorite workers, and my daughter, trying to rip each other's head off. I've never seen any indication that you two didn't along. I'm truly disappointed in the both of you," Mike says shaking his head and I look down in shame. Summer scoffs and I look up to see a unimpressed smug on her face. "Summer?" He asked raising an eyebrow at her. "Do you have something you would like to get off your chest?"

"Daddy, she's insufferable-" She snaps and I turn to her.

"I'm insufferable? You insult me every chance you get." I say a bit louder than I meant to.

"Well, I wouldn't have to if you carried yourself with a bit more class-" She shrugs.

"Don't start, I'm not scared to rip that cheap weave out. Hiring that wack tae ripoff-"

"Stop it, the both of you!" Mike inhales deeply, rubbing his temples in frustration. "You don't have to like each other, but I refuse for an event like this to happen again." He stands up from his chair and looks out the window. "Summer, your monthly spending card will be declined until further notice-"

"What? Daddy, that isn't fair!"

"And Cassie, you will be suspended on paid leave. Your salary will be reduced to 23 dollars an hour. You both are to leave the building. I suggest you go find something to do with each other and-"

Ding!

My message notification goes off and Mike's eyes go to my phone sitting on the corner of my chair. "Sorry, forgot to turn this off." I say softly. I tap my phone's screen twice, and I see I have a message notification from Asia.

Asia🕵🤥
I'm having a party and you already know you invited sis

Asia🕵🤥
Make sure you bring that fioneee white boy with you too 😩

I mentally cringe at Asia calling Chris fine. I mean it's not like Chris ugly, but he is definitely not as fine as she be trying to make him out to be.

Maybe it's the gay in me. I don't know.

It's not like Asia gonna do nothing with him. She talk about how cute he is, but in the next minute she grinding on Yoshon, that's the black boy from Kingston high. But let me shut up, cause that's not even my business. I get ready to type a response back but Mike clears his throat and I look up from my phone.

"Oh, sorry. It's my friend texting me. She just trying to see if I'm going to her party tonight." I say and I don't why I add the last part. I talk too much sometimes.

"Do you plan on going?" Mike asks and I nod. I actually didn't. But knowing Asia she probably gonna drive over to my house and drag me up outta my room if I don't. Best to just avoid all that and end up going. "Do you mind taking Summer with you?"

I do mind.

I really, really, do.

I don't understand why he keep trying to force us to like each other.

I really straight up do not rock with this girl.

What's so hard to understand about that?

"I don't know..." I trail off.

"I'll return your pay back to normal. I'll even let the rest of your friends off as well, the hours they miss will be counted as work time. So everyone be paid even though they are not here." He explains.

Honestly, that does sound pretty good to me. The Summer part is a fork in the road but it's whatever. I open my mouth to say something but Summer already had started. "What makes you think that I want to hang out with her and her middle class group of friends?" She asks.

I don't if it's just me but Summer's voice is always coming out whiny. Whatever it is it fits her personality. "Don't start on that." Mike says straighten out his blazer. "I own an amusement park, not Amazon. You're just as middle class as everyone else."

It's silent for awhile. I wish it wasn't though. I ain't really good with silence. Only time I am if I'm with my friends or Hailey.

Dang, I miss Hailey.

I haven't seen her in four weeks. We don't talk on facetime, or regular phone call, we usually just end up texting the whole day. Last time she was talking about how she was going threw some stuff with her doctor, therapist, and pediatrician. Then she said her team was stressing her out, and that her label kept trying to force some heterosexual goth girl image on her. She was just not having none of it. I told her I'm here if she needed me, she said she appreciated that. That was like five days ago. I decided to give her some space. When she was ready to come talk to me, she would. If she wasn't, that was cool too. Can't blame her she's a busy girl.

But dang, wish she wasn't that busy though.

I also wish that I didn't wish she was busy.

It's not like I wanted her to talk to me every second of the day.

My self conscious told me a tiny part of me did but I kept ignoring it.

"This will be the last time. I promise. Then you two can avoid each other all day long."

"Fine," I sigh giving in. I stand up from my chair. "We'll meet at my house, I'll send you the address." I say and Summer nods. I open the door and walk out of it, closing it behind me. I open my phone and reply to Asia.

You
Yeah, I'm gonna be there

"What'd he say? Please tell us you're not fired." Chris asks as him, Christiana, Lamont, Julia, and O'Sean rush up towards me.

I furrow my eyebrows. "What are you guys doing here?" I ask.

"Christiana called us." Julia smiles and give me a hug.

"Nice to see you out here whooping ass, Ambers." O'Sean says and daps me up in approval.

"So, what he say?" Christiana asked impatiently and they all stare at me ready to hear what went done.

"We're off, and we have to party with Summer..." I say with a weak smile.

"Ah, hell nah.." O'Sean groans.

I know, right?